Rectangles to Thank our Wounded Troops

StarStrong

Admin Note: The HAP project is coming to a close over the next few months. At the request of StarStrong (Deborah, the Founder and Director of HAP), all threads are being closed to help ease the transition period. Crochetville and its members are proud to have been a part of supporting this organization and helping them make and send over 9,000 afghans to armed service members.

Help us continue to thank our

wounded Service Men and Women

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP)* is accepting new Members for a limited time…

only until January 21, 2011.

So join us and help us continue to have enough

6” by 9” Rectangles

to make our handmade afghans for those who have given so much for us and for our country.

Email Rectangle6x9@comcast.net before you make any rectangles so you can receive detailed information on HAP* Membership and get registered.

HAP* only accepts Rectangles from registered Members.

Note: registration is a two part process and will require you to join the HAP* Forum.

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is a nonprofit organization that has not applied for tax-exempt status under Code Section 501©(3). You should consult with your tax advisor regarding the deductibility of contributions to this organization.

Hi Deborah,

I just shot you an email, to see if I was still listed as a member.

Easy way to know ~ registered HAP Members receive my weekly emails...I sent one this morning.

If you got the email you are a registered HAP Member.

If not, you need to register before January 21, 2011 by sending an email to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

**Rectangles are only accepted from registered HAP Members.

Are these granny squares, or any kind of rectangles? I'm incredibly bad at granny squares, but regualr rectangles are easy enough!

These are solid six inch by nine inch rectangles made of 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn (in colors appropriate for gender neutral afghans).

Before making any rectangles you need to become a HAP Members....to do so email Rectangle6x9@comcast.net and follow the registration process (it is two steps).

Hope you will join us in thanking those wounded in service to our country!

This is a wonderful organization and it makes you feel so good to make the rectangles that will be made into afghans for the injured armed forces personel. If you knit or crochet you should join while the membership is open and start making those 6x9 rectangles. RockysMom

Help us continue to thank our

wounded Service Men and Women

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP)* is accepting new Members for a limited time…

6” by 9” Rectangles

to make our handmade afghans for those who have given so much for us and for our country.

Email Rectangle6x9@comcast.net before you make any rectangles so you can receive detailed information on HAP* Membership and get registered.

HAP* only accepts Rectangles from registered Members.

Note: registration is a two part process and will require you to join the HAP* Forum.

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is a nonprofit organization that has not applied for tax-exempt status under Code Section 501©(3). You should consult with your tax advisor regarding the deductibility of contributions to this organization.

Just in time for Veterans’ Day

The Handmade Afghans to Thank

Our Armed Forces Project

is giving out our

:sstar:sstar:sstar 5,000th:sstar:sstar handmade afghan

It took us 5 years and 8 months (since our first delivery)

and the help of Hundreds of Volunteers

Congratulations to

each and every

HAP Volunteer and Supporter

for making it to this amazing milestone!!!

Are you ready to keep it going???

Remember…..Every Rectangle

brings us closer to thanking

another wounded Service Member.

Let’s keep showing them we care!!!!

Membership to HAP is now open*..... to start your registration send an email to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

Registration is a two part process and Rectangles are only accepted from registered members.

* HAP's membership drive closes on 1/21/11

• 2 weeks later...

Help us send warmth and comfort

to our

wounded Service Men and Women.

Let's tell them we remember them in this season of Thanks.

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is accepting new Members for a limited time…

So join us and help us make 6” by 9” Rectangles

for our handmade afghans going to those who have given so much for us and for our country.

Email Rectangle6x9@comcast.net before you make any rectangles so you can receive detailed information on HAP Membership and get registered.

HAP only accepts Rectangles from registered Members.

Note: registration is a two part process and will require you to join the HAP Forum.

:bump Looking for a way to Thank those wounded in service to our country?

to our

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is accepting new Members for a limited time…

for our handmade afghans going to those who have given so much for us and for our country.

Email Rectangle6x9@comcast.net before you make any rectangles so you can receive detailed information on HAP Membership and get registered.

Note: registration is a two part process and will require you to join the HAP Forum.

The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP)

is now in its 6th year of sending

handmade afghans

to our wounded Service Men and Women

(in the USA, Germany & Afghanistan)

and we invite you to join us.

This is a fun and easy project as you make 6"x by 9" Rectangles that are combined with the work of others to make our "Rectangle Blankets".

Membership is only open until 1/21/2011 so sign up now by sending an email to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

Help us thank those wounded in service to our country!!

to our

Today seemed a good day to again share this note received in 2009:

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009

Subject: FW: Afghan shipment

Deborah,

Thank you for the afghans. I have a great story.....Our hospitality cart was giving items to the soldiers last week and there was a WWII veteran / patient. Our volunteer gave him a red/white/blue afghan, the gentleman pulled it up to his chin and started crying, he then began talking with our volunteer for the next hour. When our volunteer left, the family followed and told the volunteer that the gentleman had not spoken at all over the last two weeks. There is so much love in those blankets!

There are no words that can express our thanks!

V/R

Linda

Assistant Station Manager

American Red Cross

Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC & Pope AFB, NC

Reminder that membership to The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is open until January 21, 2011. If you would like to make rectangles please send an email to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net *before* starting.

Thank you for the afghans. I have a great story.....Our hospitality cart was giving items to the soldiers last week and there was a WWII veteran / patient. Our volunteer gave him a red/white/blue afghan, the gentleman pulled it up to his chin and started crying, he then began talking with our volunteer for the next hour. When our volunteer left, the family followed and told the volunteer that the gentleman had not spoken at all over the last two weeks. There is so much love in those blankets!

Oh my that brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this. :manyheart

Oh my that brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this. :manyheart

Me too...especially today, of all days. :)

Today seemed a good day to again share this note received in 2009:

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009

Subject: FW: Afghan shipment

Deborah,

There are no words that can express our thanks!

V/R

Linda

Assistant Station Manager

American Red Cross

Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC & Pope AFB, NC

Reminder that membership to The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is open until January 21, 2011. If you would like to make rectangles please send an email to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net *before* starting.

I just sent in an Email to join up and this story brought tears to my eyes as well my Grandfather was in WW2 and he spent the last years of his life in a VA in Salsbury NC. I saw so many great men and herd so many storys while visiting him in that hospital.. But it was always hard to leave the man I looked up to all my life in there.. And then the night we lost him.. The look in the eyes of the friends he had made in that Hosipital they where hurting just as much as us the family were.. I would have done anything to make his last days better but if I can do something for others that have served for us I feel it will help to keep his memory alive..

Kristy

We do not expect the wounded Service Members who get HAP handmade afghans to send notes ~ the Rectangle Blankets are a "thank you" note from us to them. However sometimes we get notes and the other day I shared (again) with the Volunteers a note received in May. Thought I would post it here....

Dear HAP,

I just wanted to give you some feedback and let you know how much I appreciated the gift of the handmade afghan. I slept under it two nights ago, and the previous night was spent cold and miserable on a cot with a very thin blanket. That was a stark contrast to the comfortable night I spent under your handmade afghan. As a child I took naps on Sunday afternoons under such an afghan, and it brought back warm memories. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness, and I know others will enjoy using this afghan and the others you've no doubt made for our troops. Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,

MAJ Andrew

If you want to be part of the wonderful group of Volunteers who make the 6" by 9" Rectangles for these memories of home for our wounded Service Members ~ you are in luck!!

Membership to The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is open until January 21, 2011.

Join NOW and you can then start

making a difference on a cold night.

To join email me at Rectangle6x9@comcast.net before making any rectangles.

I look forward to hearing from you!!! :yes

• 2 weeks later...

Are you ready to help remind our wounded Service Men & Women

they are not forgotten?

:sstar:sstar:sstar:sstar:sstar:sstar:sstar

You can do it with something as small as a 6" by 9" rectangle!!

6” by 9” Rectangles

Just wondering why membership is only open for another month. I just found out about this project a few days ago.

Because The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP) is 100% Volunteer (including me) I need to keep the size of the group manageable. Over the years the group has grown and I've found that if it gets too big it does not work well. Recently the membership list was cleaned of those no longer participating so it is possible to take on new people. The January 21, 2011 date was set by me and my Advisory Group as it gave enough time for us to recruit new members.

HAP will not accept new members after 1/21/2011.

Rectangles are not accepted from non-members.

If you are interested in helping us thank those wounded in service to our country please email me now at Rectangle6x9@comcast.net so that you do not miss completing your registration by the deadline.

Thank you, Deborah S-A (HAP Founder and Director - all Volunteer)

Is 2011 the year you want to say

"Thank you" to our

wounded Service Men & Women?

You can do it with something as small as a 6" by 9" rectangle!!

Don't delay ~ members will not be accepted after 1/21/2011

I didn't participate nearly enough last year. My only resolution this year is to reach out more and become more involved in the charity work that I enjoy so much so I am rededicating myself to this cause. I hope I can still participate.

Everyone is welcome to participate as long as they complete the registration by January 21, 2011. Registration is two steps. To learn the first step, send an email to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net now! :yes

Archived