worst critic

I am my own worse critic in everything I do. When I look at an afghan, or other thread craft, my eye goes immediately to the imperfections. I've never sold any of my handiwork....to those of you that have: do your customers expect perfection?

My grandmother used to say the imperfections were what made the piece unique like its creator. most people who receive an item are not inclined to find it and only those that made the item know its there. I have made and sold several items that had a whoopsie in them I left out a complete row in an afghan before and was never criticized about it. I think it makes it a true one of a kind

I have sold plenty of my work ..........my customers come back again and again so I must be doing something right! :) like you, I am very critical of my own work but you know what? you are not a machine! thats why people want hand made because it has a better look!if you make an item and love making it, it will show! :) I always put made with love on my sales slips! because its true!!!!! If there is say, a bit of a gap at the end of a chain, a missed stitch or other imperfection, that makes the piece unique! as long as its not a huge big whole or say, one sleeve longer than the other, as the previous poster said. Unless the person buying it is a crocheter too they will not notice! If you want to start selling, try ebay, or a craft fair. I would say give it a go! :)

I am going to be starting my own esty shop, but I felt the same way, until I have had friends and family say how much they love that it was hand made, and that it was unique. That no where in the world was there another like it. People who shop for hand made like it because of the imiperfections :) and as cherrypicker said, as long as it isn't a huge mistake, and is usable in the way it was intended, it is just perfect :D

I have heard say that nothing handmade is absolutely perfect. I would be very intimidated if I were to go with a magnifying glass trying to find everything wrong with everything i do. Relax! Do your best, I think that is what people want. I try to go for color, style, ingenuity and imagination if a piece or in a toy. To make an item fun or lovely, while retaining as much quality as possible, but not making it hard to make. Those are my design goals. Set a goal for yourself, and once you reach it, don't go looking for anything else!

I have heard say that nothing handmade is absolutely perfect. I would be very intimidated if I were to go with a magnifying glass trying to find everything wrong with everything i do. Relax! Do your best, I think that is what people want. I try to go for color, style, ingenuity and imagination if a piece or in a toy. To make an item fun or lovely, while retaining as much quality as possible, but not making it hard to make. Those are my design goals. Set a goal for yourself, and once you reach it, don't go looking for anything else!

Hope I have encouraged you! ;)

Archived