T shirt afghan

craftylady1956

I had originally posted this under show & tel under afghans, but figured maybe more people might like the idea if i posted it here.

I was asked to design a afghan using sentimential t shirts saved by my son's girlfriend. Not knowing the best way to do it I decided why not crochet!!!

Here's the directions for it and a photo. Please PM me with any questions.

Here's how I made it. The person who I made it for wanted multi colored-which was great as I used some scrap ww yarn.

Take t shirts and cut as squarely as possible, using the printable or "good" area. Take a paper punch and punch holes about every 1" or so about 1/4-1/2" from edges all around each squared t shirt piece.(This worked better for me than needle and thread-BUT I went through 3 hole punches--(gotta be a easier way to get the holes through the fabric I think....)

After punching holes around 1 t shirt.....

Round 1 -Take yarn and sl st and 1 sc in same hole, ch 3. *sc in next hole, ch 3* repeatfrom *to * all around. Join with sl st in 1st sc.

Round 2- sl st to 1st ch 3 sp..ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), 2 dc in same sp. 3 dc in each ch 3 sp around --making 5 dc in each corner ch 3 sp. Join with sl st and end off.

Contiune in this manner until all t shirt pieces have 2 rounds crochet as above. Now working like a jigsaw puzzle---lay all your pieces ut flat to decide placement. I sl st all pieces together. After all shirt were joined together, I made an edging:

Edge:

Round 1 --Using a different color yarn than I had used to this point-1 dc in each st around complete afghan.

Round 2- 5 dc in 1st st,* sk 3 sts, 5 dc in next st. making 7 dc in each corner* around join with sl st.

If anyone has questions --just send me a message....happy hookin!!.

post-7413-135897588398_thumb.jpg

I have made one using the center of one t-shirt - and had to punch holes all around it -

I did this as I went "by eye" and used the same tool I do when making towel toppers to punch holes thru a double thickness - it is from Patternworks and is very inexpensive - but the dental tool pick side makes the hole and then I flip it for the hook end!

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300168.htm

Then once yarn thru I sc -ch1- sc for my foundation row - once that is done I switch to an f or g hook for the rest.

Mine was a granny square around the one t-shirt middle.

:yarn

My DIL is wanting me to make an afghan like this for my grandson - she's saving our favorites as he grows out of hem. Now I know how to do it :) Thanks.

Yes LaVonne - that is what I used per the suggestion of someone here - "fusible interfacing" - it was thin but just enough so that when I poked the holes they didn't pull or stretch once crocheted thru.

Here's a pic of the ghan -

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/shuttlebuggy/Dads%20Memory%20Ghan/CIMG4865.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/shuttlebuggy/Dads%20Memory%20Ghan/CIMG4867.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/shuttlebuggy/Dads%20Memory%20Ghan/CIMG4868.jpg

Another method I used to get holes was with a knitting needle. I had different sizes on hand and choose one I thought was appropriate and punch through all around and since I was using fleece I think going threw t-shirt material should be much easier. I love this idea for my grandson. I'll have to tell mom to start collecting!

Wow, this is a clever idea. Thanks for sharing the pattern. My daughter has a bunch of T-Shirts she doesn't want to get rid of. This would be a great way for her to have them and still be able to "wear" them. :lol

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on doing this with both of my son's and husband's ball uniforms and t-shirts. With as many unifoms and shirts between the three, I should be able to make one for each kid and one for DH and myself. Wonderful Idea!! TFS!

Archived