Homespun by Lion Brand

CascadeConsumer

Question

Does anybody have tips for handling this yarn? This is a kind of "frilly" yarn by Lion Brand, basically it looks to be yarn fibers twisted in a corkscrew around a central thread for a nice look and feel to the final product.

But Good Lord is this maddening to work with! LOL!!! I keep snagging it, left right and center.

Anybody have tips for how to handle it? Or do I just need a huge hook? The pattern I'm thinking about trying calls for a K-hook and after hamfisting my way through a tiny test swatch I was ready to throw it across the room!

:devil

I hate homespun. It's pretty to look at, but I'll never work with it again. There are so many yarns out there that you don't have to fight with every stitch of the way. I gave mine away and moved on to yarns I like.

Large hook, and learn to work by feeling the stitches, not looking for them. Takes some practice but once you get it you'll do fine.

Jean Leinhauser

I have crocheted several ripples with HomeSpun. At first I was as frustrated as you but I continued to like the colors and love the texture so I worked with it and now I can't wait to be able to buy my next batch to make another afghan for someone.

And I have been amazed that HomeSpun can be washed and washed and continues to stay as beautiful as when it was first crocheted.

It is worth the time to practice if you like the yarn!

KathyWho

I was the same way! But like it was said before, bigger hook, J or K maybe, and loose stitching. The way I figured it, even w/the loose stitching, when you wash it, it fluffs nicely and is super soft. I did hate it at first and it can be frustrating but I've begun to come around to it and would love to make a ripple out of one next project.

well--I skimmed the other posts, and everyone's pretty much said what I'm about to say...so I'll go ahead and say if for effect! :mdust

:mdust :mdust :mdust :mdust

I had trouble with it at first as well. A K hook should be fine, but loosen up, girl!! :cheer

What I found hard about it was that I could never seem to find the loops because the waviness of the yarn strand itself is sometimes deceiving making you think there's a loop where there isn't one. If you "zoom out" a little bit in your focus, it will be easier to distinguish the loops. I found it to be like riding a bike: once you get it, you've got it.

Also, here's an article I found to be tremendously helpful regarding the issue of tension: http://www.suite101.com/content/correct-tension-in-crochet-a42000

Good luck, my friend!!

:hug

and some :pizza

After having a bunch of Homespun sitting in my yarn dresser for a few years, I finally used some this weekend. I used a N hook and some Lion Wool-Ease with the Homespun and made a few cowls. They are super-soft. I found working with two yarns made my completion time fast. No frustrations that I've had with Homespun in the past using this method. Good luck to you!

I've found that getting started with Homespun is the hardest part (stitching into your starting chain) but once you get going, it's easier to SEE where you're going.

:tup agreed!

I've used this yarn often for shawls. And I hated it at first, but with use, adjusted to it. Learning how to 'feel' for the stitches helped tremendously.

Although I seldom use Bates' hooks, they have a line 'Quicksilver', I think, size L, that works real well with it. I've also successfully used a Brittany hook, also size L, I think.

Recently I used this yarn for a clapochet shawl. The way the pattern brought out the color changes in the yarn was almost breathtaking. Friends who'd watched me work on the shawl were amazed when I laid it out, and they saw the beautiful colors.

It takes some getting used to, but definitely is worth it.

When I first started to work with this yarn, and yes every now and then even now, I had trouble working with it but now I totally love it and making what ever I can with it. I make prayer shawls, lapghans, and regular afghans with this. I would say keep working with it and it should get better. You may have to adjust the tension or even go up a hook size if it will not throw off the gauge.

I made the Coming Home poncho in Homespun and I too found it a little had to get used to. By the end of the project though, I was finding it much easier to work with. I think I started crocheting a litle looser than normal by necessity and once I relaxed with that as my "norm" I was okay. Good luck on your project.

I bought a couple of skeins in a beautiful, jeweled purple color to make a scarf for my niece...needless to say, she never got that scarf! I have had these skeins sitting around in a bag for a year, and have been loathe to pick them up again, but you all have been so encouraging that I think I will :) I am actually glad I found this thread because I am toying with the idea of trying out an afghan pattern that calls for this yarn. I have all the yarn in my "cart" on JoAnn's website because it's on sale, but before I enter my credit card number, I think I'll give the pattern a dry run and try a few rows with the stuff I already have.

If anyone is interested in a pretty afghan pattern using this yarn, here is the link:

http://www.freepatternsdonnascrochetdesigns.com/seasons-afghan-free-crochet-pattern.html

I gave up crocheting with Homespun and am currently knitting a lap robe with it. Much less frustrating for me. It makes up so lush and soft, my cat loves it and hates when she has to move off my WIP.

Chiming in here to agree with everybody else, large hook (K or larger) and loose tension. I've made more ripple throws than I can count with homespun (one for every high school graduate at our small church over the past several years) and also use it for prayer shawls.

It works up beautifully and, for me, it is worth the effort. It is more difficult to work with at first, but gets easier as you work with it.

One tip that really helped me is if you are working with dark colored yarn, put a white cloth behind it and it really does help you see the stitches better.

Good luck!

Lisa

Archived