help substituting yarn

jamielynn1985

Question

I'm about to have my first paying customer. I am using a Drops pattern which of course calls for a Drops yarn, This specifically calls for Eskimo I can't use this yarn for a few reasons, I need the yarn this week, I don't have a credit card to order things from the web, they don't have the color he wants.

I need a yarn that I can find in Micheal's. He wants something green and black variegated. I'm not sure how my luck will be at finding the right color in the right yarnweight so I'm thinking about doublestranding it with 2 thinner yarns that will equal the bulky yarn. I just don't know what a good substitution would be and I don't want to substitute strands that are too thick or too thin. Below is the information on the yarn the pattern calls for. Their yarn group chart says that you can substitute two threads from C to equal one thread from E. The yarns in C all seem to be worsted weight yarns.

Please help.

Also he said the yarn doesn't have to be wool.

material: 100% wool

yardage: 1 ball = 50g = 50meter / 54 yds

needle size 8-9 [uS 11-13]

tension/gauge 10 sts x 14 rows = 10x10cm [4"x4"]

yarnweight: bulky

textured: single

Eskimo has a large elasticity and gives garments that stay in shape. We are offering a large array of colors, pretty and clear single colors, tone-in-tone shaded colors we call mix, and colors with a significant mix of colors that we call print.

2 answers to this question

I haven't used that yarn but do you have some scraps of different weight yarns lying around? I would try swatching to see which weights would work. Keep in mind that when you double strand the fabric is much stiffer, I'm guessing this is a garment and that might not be desireable. Michaels' carries bulky weight yarn, if you can find the right colors maybe you can convince your friend to settle for black and green stripes instead of varigated.

Archived