Beads size question?

bubblefizz

I make beaded purses. and no I am not exagerating, I really do use that amount of beads or more on a project, This purse I made with size 12 seed beads and size 30 thread. There are 17,400 and some odd beads in this purse. I love crocheting them. The second purse is with size 13 beads and 50 thread. I havent finished writting up the second purse but I figure there are close to 25,000 beads on that one. I have used size 100 thread just not on my purses. These are both original designs just two of many.

diplomat2.jpg

S_racheal2.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is an easier way....cut a piece of fish line tie it to something a little higher than your work, make sure it's long, then string em on, slide the fish line through the loop on the project, bring the end through and push your bead on. You can string a bunch of them on. Trust me it is easy.

I'll have to try that!

I make beaded purses. and no I am not exagerating, I really do use that amount of beads or more on a project, This purse I made with size 12 seed beads and size 30 thread. There are 17,400 and some odd beads in this purse. I love crocheting them. The second purse is with size 13 beads and 50 thread. I havent finished writting up the second purse but I figure there are close to 25,000 beads on that one. I have used size 100 thread just not on my purses. These are both original designs just two of many.

That's a lot of beads! :eek:cheer

Guest Crafterlady46

Wow nice. Guess I didn't think of bags. They would use a lot. Most of us think in terms of doilies, clothes, and such. I wouldn't think too many would have that skill to make such a piece of art. I dont. Nor would I have the patience. Your work is stunning. I'll eat my crow pie now!! :lol:lol

Like someone else said, the Miyuki beads are better than Czech, but it's not just because of the uniformity -- I think the hole is slightly bigger, which makes threading the beads a little easier.

I love my Big Eye Needle for threading. Bead shops and craft stores sometimes have them, and I've read that you can make them, although I've never tried. It's basically a needle made of thin gauge wire and the eye is almost the length of the needle.

Here's a pic in case you haven't ever seen one around. I don't recommend the shop I'm linking to necessarily, but it's a clear picture of the eye:

http://www.eebeads.com/ideas/51_BigEyeNeedle.html

I don't know what I would do without mine.

Kathy your purses are breathtaking!! I have been wanting to try making the rope bracelets/necklaces but only saw the nylon patterns. Did not want to go that way. Thanks for the info. on pearl cotton. :manyheart

I have just got my 8/0 seed beads

OMG they are soooo tiny, but a lovely turquoise colour:)

Now how the devil do i get them on to my #10 thread????

Ooooooohhhh.....turquoise! Love that color! What I do to string them on my size 10 thread is to dab some glue about 2" long then wait for it to dry then use that instead of a needle. Julie (yarngirl) suggested once to use nail polish as it dries more quickly. Good luck, Angie! Post pictures soon! :D

Ooooooohhhh.....turquoise! Love that color! What I do to string them on my size 10 thread is to dab some glue about 2" long then wait for it to dry then use that instead of a needle. Julie (yarngirl) suggested once to use nail polish as it dries more quickly. Good luck, Angie! Post pictures soon! :D

Oh jaclim i dont like the sound of that :blush is there not any other way of threading them on??

im beginning to think that i might need the bigger size beads :eek

Are you doing size 8 beads onto worsted weight yarn or sport yarn, I really think you will have to go with Jackies suggestion if you are doing worsted weight yarn. You may be able to use a looped needle threader/ bigeye needle on the sports weight but I am not certain, you may have to use the first suggestion there also. I have never tried size 8 beads on any yarn. In fact I bought my first size 8 beads just a few weeks ago. I plan on using them on thread though. I have used size 6 beads on worsted weight yarn though and I could use a looped needle theader/ bigeye needle. Did a poncho for my granddaughter last Christmas bedecked with beads.

Wishing you the best of luck on your project. Really hope it goes smoothly for you.

Are you doing size 8 beads onto worsted weight yarn or sport yarn, I really think you will have to go with Jackies suggestion if you are doing worsted weight yarn. You may be able to use a looped needle threader/ bigeye needle on the sports weight but I am not certain, you may have to use the first suggestion there also. I have never tried size 8 beads on any yarn. In fact I bought my first size 8 beads just a few weeks ago. I plan on using them on thread though. I have used size 6 beads on worsted weight yarn though and I could use a looped needle theader/ bigeye needle. Did a poncho for my granddaughter last Christmas bedecked with beads.

Wishing you the best of luck on your project. Really hope it goes smoothly for you.

No im trying to use them on size 10 thread;)

i want to make the rinky pink purse that mary made, but i did also want to know about correct beads for yarns aswell, but think ive got that sorted, so its just the 8/0 seed beads on a size 10 thread.............seems impossible :lol

The link at the bottom of this post gives a picture of one. You can get them at any craft or fabric store. I know Joannes carries them. They really work slick for doing this. They are a piece of equipment I wouldn't do without and I string lots and lots of beads.

Like someone else said, the Miyuki beads are better than Czech, but it's not just because of the uniformity -- I think the hole is slightly bigger, which makes threading the beads a little easier.

I love my Big Eye Needle for threading. Bead shops and craft stores sometimes have them, and I've read that you can make them, although I've never tried. It's basically a needle made of thin gauge wire and the eye is almost the length of the needle.

Here's a pic in case you haven't ever seen one around. I don't recommend the shop I'm linking to necessarily, but it's a clear picture of the eye:

http://www.eebeads.com/ideas/51_BigEyeNeedle.html

I don't know what I would do without mine.

ok got my big eye needle this morning, yippeeee (that was fast)

i took one look at it and thought where is the eye LOL but i have no finger nails to open the thing.

anyway i wanted to to know are these needles easy breakable (havnt tried it yet) do i need a few off them??

They do wear out with a lot of use. The end normally seperates after a time. So yes you may want to keep a few on hand. Any craft store that carries beads will have these available for you. I get the dritz looped needle threader ( which is the same thing basicly ) at the fabric/craft store. They come in a pkg of 6 and are finer for the smaller beads.

Glad we got you hooked. Dont you just love beads and crochet.

Archived