Beads size question?

bubblefizz

Can someone tell me about beads. i want to experiment but dont understand the sizing:blush

i now know that a size 8/0 is ideal for size 10 thread.:clap

now what size beads if i wanted to use a worsted weight or sport weight yarns what would be the size beads to go for??:think

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people use pony beads on yarn...but I find those unattractive. I'm not sure what to tell you what to search for.

I LOVE 8/0 glass beads (with the silver lining) on my thread projects...I am reminded of what Kristina said just a day or so ago..."makes it pop"!! ;)

I have used size 6 or E beads ( E beads are a size 6) on worsted weight yarn, You can get them in a wide range of colors. Use a looped needle threader to string them, not a needle. I am not sure if a size 8 bead would fit on a sport weight yarn. Probably would, but I know a size 6 will for certain.

I have used size 6 or E beads ( E beads are a size 6) on worsted weight yarn, You can get them in a wide range of colors. Use a looped needle threader to string them, not a needle. I am not sure if a size 8 bead would fit on a sport weight yarn. Probably would, but I know a size 6 will for certain.

Thanks Kathy is that 6/0 ??

not sure where the /0 comes into it:blush

I buy beads from a company called Fire Mountain Gems. They have excellent prices and a huge selection. I know they have a website, although I usually order from the paper catalogs. They send out the main catalogues, then also sales catalogues throughout the year. My mom and I both get them, and love to drool over them. :lol I like the catalogues, because they also show finished pieces, great for getting ideas for making stuff of my own.

Lene'

I am just using beads in crochet for the first time in my life:eek and I must say, I bought my beads in unmarked pouches as well. As with so many things, I doubt we get sized beads here...so whatever fits, will have to do!:hook

I found this online today and thought I would share

For seed beads the approximate diameter (when hole is facing upwards) is:

6/o - 3.3 mm

7/o - 2.9 mm

8/o - 2.5 mm

9/o - 2.2 mm

10/o - 2.0 mm

11/o - 1.8 mm

12/o - 1.7 mm

13/o - 1.5 mm

14/o - 1.4 mm

However, in practice, the size number means how many beads per inch (with hole facing upwards, not when strung). So 6/o beads will have 6 beads to every inch.

I've found that this makes it very easy to size unmarked beads. I just line them up on my ruler and see how many I need to make an inch :)

I buy most of my beads at Shipwreck beads , you can find them on line. If youv'e ever looked at my website you will know I go through some beads. I find them very reasonably priced.

Lucky me I do live within driving distance of their store and talk about a super store. It is hugemungous , Every size, shape , color bead you can imagine. I limit myself to a trip every three months or so. But Boy do I have fun when I go.

It is measured end to end not around, The end being the hole end. That's why you can have such variances in a given size of bead. It is amazing, how 2 size 12 beads can be so different, Different manufactures or shapes and colors can change the diameter of the bead but not the length. I really have to watch it on some of my designs,

One thing about beads is that if they are a little too small or if you're using beads that have a coating that covers the hole, you can make the hole bigger by using a an awl. I think that's what it's called, but the one I have I bought in the bead department and it's called a bead reemer.

For sportweight or worsted yarn, I normally use a size 9 or 10 bead.

I buy most of my beads at Shipwreck beads , you can find them on line. If youv'e ever looked at my website you will know I go through some beads. I find them very reasonably priced.

Lucky me I do live within driving distance of their store and talk about a super store. It is hugemungous , Every size, shape , color bead you can imagine. I limit myself to a trip every three months or so. But Boy do I have fun when I go.

Oooooohhhhh, Kathy! A super bead store near you?!?:eek I'm so jealous!!!!:drool

Dont you just love that store :D.. I have been to the old shop before they moved over to the new one. OMG took forever to go thru the old one, and now the new one even takes longer..lol.. I only get to the shop every few years when I go back home to visit though.

I use a lot of the smaller beads also, but not with yarn. I would like to know how you all get a size 10 bead strung on worsted weight yarn, I haven't been able to do that. I will use a reamer on a few beads but not hundreds. So is there a trick I am missing.

Guest Crafterlady46
Can someone tell me about beads. i want to experiment but dont understand the sizing:blush

i now know that a size 8/0 is ideal for size 10 thread.:clap

now what size beads if i wanted to use a worsted weight or sport weight yarns what would be the size beads to go for??:think

I use size 10/0 beads. I don't string them. I hook them on. It's much eaiser to put them on doilies...for me anyways. I use a size 16 hook to pull the loop through the bead and then do a sl st. Any size bead is good depending on if you can string them or hook them. I know a lot of people would not hook them on figuring that stringing is better. Guess it's what you want to use and do. The bigger beads are pretty too. They don't sell as well on ebay for me so that is why I use the tiny sead beads. I don't do more work than I have to, that includes my doilies. I cant get the hook to go through a size 11/0 bead. And some 10/0 beads are too small. Depends on who makes them. A 9/0 would be perfect but I have not found too many around. Hope this helps. :):) Don't know what yarn would use. Maybe 4mm? Maybe you might try going to a store and opening one up and trying in the store before you buy it. What are you going to make?

Thanks for that chart, but wouldn't the shape of the beads (fat, thin, round) have something to do with how many line up per inch?

Only seed beads are sized that way. Seed beads are the ones that aren't totally round, they start out as a long tube, then are cut and the ends rounded slightly by being put back in the oven, so they're really small tubes. 6 is the largest size and I think they are also called pony beads.

Any other shaped bead is just sized by mm.

It is amazing, how 2 size 12 beads can be so different, Different manufactures or shapes and colors can change the diameter of the bead but not the length. I really have to watch it on some of my designs

Try Japanese seed beads instead of Czech. You'll never go back, I wager. They are slightly more square, but very uniform in size. One name brand is Delica by Miyuki.

I string all my beads, I can not imagine doing 15-20 thousand beads hooking them on as I go. It would take me forever. That way I also get to use smaller beads on my thread. I do a lot of size 13 beads on size 50 thread. Gets me what I want. But we all do what works for us. Like so many other things a matter of personal preference and the actual task we are doing.

I do know I can not string easily anything smaller than a 6/0 onto worsted weight yarn. I have tried on several occasions when I've had the right color bead just not in the size I needed for working with yarn.

I use size 10/0 beads. I don't string them. I hook them on. It's much eaiser to put them on doilies...for me anyways. I use a size 16 hook to pull the loop through the bead and then do a sl st. Any size bead is good depending on if you can string them or hook them. I know a lot of people would not hook them on figuring that stringing is better. Guess it's what you want to use and do. The bigger beads are pretty too. They don't sell as well on ebay for me so that is why I use the tiny sead beads. I don't do more work than I have to, that includes my doilies. I cant get the hook to go through a size 11/0 bead. And some 10/0 beads are too small. Depends on who makes them. A 9/0 would be perfect but I have not found too many around. Hope this helps. :) :) Don't know what yarn would use. Maybe 4mm? Maybe you might try going to a store and opening one up and trying in the store before you buy it. What are you going to make?

Guest Crafterlady46
I string all my beads, I can not imagine doing 15-20 thousand beads hooking them on as I go. It would take me forever. That way I also get to use smaller beads on my thread. I do a lot of size 13 beads on size 50 thread. Gets me what I want. But we all do what works for us. Like so many other things a matter of personal preference and the actual task we are doing.

I do know I can not string easily anything smaller than a 6/0 onto worsted weight yarn. I have tried on several occasions when I've had the right color bead just not in the size I needed for working with yarn.

Yeah yeah, I think we all do our own thing. I haven't used the size 50 thread yet. Seems a little small to work with. My fingers would kill me. I could not use the tiny tiny hooks. I usually use a size 11 hook. It's really quite easy to hook em on. I tried stringing them and the thread would only twist and get knots. Do you make hanky lace, doilies? I only ask because of the small size thread. Have you tried the 100? Do you really use 15-20 thousand beads per project or it that a little inflated? Seem a lot of beads. I only use a couple of hundred. Course, I make doilies.

For clothing projects, I sometimes thread quite a few hundred rocaille glass beads and "hook them on" (by sliding a #12 hook through the bead to pull the loop through). I agree it is time consuming, but I like the look.

I have never used anything smaller than #10 thread. I like dainty #50 doilies, and I adore painted doilies made with sewing thread, but I just can't see working with it. I already wear glasses...don't want to screw up my eyes any worse!

Guest Crafterlady46
For clothing projects, I sometimes thread quite a few hundred rocaille glass beads and "hook them on" (by sliding a #12 hook through the bead to pull the loop through). I agree it is time consuming, but I like the look.

I have never used anything smaller than #10 thread. I like dainty #50 doilies, and I adore painted doilies made with sewing thread, but I just can't see working with it. I already wear glasses...don't want to screw up my eyes any worse!

There is an easier way....cut a piece of fish line tie it to something a little higher than your work, make sure it's long, then string em on, slide the fish line through the loop on the project, bring the end through and push your bead on. You can string a bunch of them on. Trust me it is easy.

Archived