Help! Starching/Stiffener

HeatherR

After years of afghan making I decided to try my hand using thread and do some Christmas ornaments. They turned out pretty good for my first time, but the problem is I don't know how to starch. After ruining 12 bells I'm here for help. The question is 1 what do I use to starch and 2 how do I get the bell to hold its shape?

I use diluted white glue or products sold as fabric stiffener, which seem to be pretty much the same as white glue. immerse the bell in the stiffener, let it soak in well, then squeeze out all the liquid you can.

for shaping, you might be able to find styrofoam bell shapes to use. if not you can wad up small pieces of newspaper or foil. put saran wrap inside the bell then fill up the inside with the little wads of paper until it has the shape you want. it's been a while since i did anything shaped but as i recall thats how i did it.

And welcome to the Ville:hook

Thank you so much. I will deffintly try that. My goofy self thought for some reason to use spray started and just keep shapeing it with my hands. Not a good idea at all.

Different sizes of styrofoam or paper cups wrapped in plastic wrap work wonders to shape bells. To fill gaps, wrap appropriate amounts of cotton balls in a piece of plastic wrap and stuff in bell before the cup.

Cheers!

Archived