IM getting the hang of it now - Knitting!

joules

ive been learning to knit for a while now, not too much of a problem with the hold as i hold my crochet hook overhand anyways which helped. as i could crochet first i thought continental style would be best, i started out ok, th knit stitch flowed and all was well.

however the purl was a bit trickier, i started out trying to use the middle figer on my left hand but in the end i used the pointy finger which was tensioning the yarn. it worked but it didnt flow....if that makes sense. having to pause to push the yarn down felt wrong and i kept thinking why doesnt this needle have ahook on it, i could do it easier then. i then remembered reading somewhere about a lady who knit with 2 crochethooks (not knooking) so i thought why not. i picked up 2 regular crochet hooks the same size and cast on about 10 and when off. it just flows now, the knit stitch flows better even though it felt fine before, as for the purl well i was practicing garter stitch and when i looked back i had purled a few - it was that comfy.

after a wee while of practice with garter last night the stitches look great, they are all even :) i do think it has loosened my tension though so may have to go down a size but that isnt a problem

i went back and did it slowly to check i hadnt changed the way the stitches were formed. and they were the same. so i reckong im off to buy some afghan/ tunisian crochet hooks in pairs :) the shop ive seen some cheap ones on goes from 2mm to 5mm at £2.90 each, theres bound to be more out there, i saw one tunisian hook on ebay for £2.55 and they do 4mm to 10mm its 30cm long

im so happy :)

Your experience sounds like mine, I could get the hang of the knitting part but the purl drove me to distraction. I used to go through the back loop to purl, don't laugh it worked. Then I kept at it and at it and viola....got it, I am not the world's fastest knitter, and there are times I get very impatient with it, (doesn't go as fast as crocheting) but I love the calming effect it has so I continue....good luck to you and congrats, that's a big deal..from one novice to another!!

Your experience sounds like mine, I could get the hang of the knitting part but the purl drove me to distraction. I used to go through the back loop to purl, don't laugh it worked. Then I kept at it and at it and viola....got it, I am not the world's fastest knitter, and there are times I get very impatient with it, (doesn't go as fast as crocheting) but I love the calming effect it has so I continue....good luck to you and congrats, that's a big deal..from one novice to another!!

thanks i appreciate it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Keep practicing. The more you knit, the better you can get. I do every other project in knitting. I switch off between knitting and crochet, and it's fun.

:manyheart

Archived