Comfortghan for a very sad story

Becky Morgan

Over on the O Gauge Railroading Forum, we're in the midst of raising money for the annual Trains for Kids project. This family came up on the list, and I asked if the kids might like comfortghans too. I have permission to repost this:

blank.gifPosted September 24, 2010 01:34 AM I have a suggestion for a family if anyone is near Rockwall Tx. A friend of mine that I served with in the navy just lost his wife in a car accident not too long ago. His daughter was badly injured as well. She is undergoing treatment at the Childrens hospital in Dallas. He had to pick up and move to the dallas area for her treatment. They were living at the Ronald Mcdonald house but have now moved into an apartment. He has a 5yr. old son. I wish I could volunteer for him but I live in Atlanta. He is having a very rough time with everything that is going on so I thought this might bring some happiness around christmas.

The little boy likes Spiderman and trucks and little-boy stuff. The girl who was injured likes flowers and woodsy animals and outdoor things in general. I was thinking about 6" squares in worsted weight, maybe mostly red and blue Spiderman colors for him and mossy/sky/grass/flowers and animals for hers. She's out of the hospital now and has started on liquids by mouth, but still isn't talking. I figure anything we can do to cheer these folks up might help.

I'd like to have them in enough time that I can get them mailed by Thanksgiving, so they're not caught in the big mailing rush. Besides, you all know that the minute I try to get to the post office with anything I get stopped at least a dozen times :) ...I really wish we could send stuff with our mail carrier.

Just yesterday, we found out the money for their train set has been donated and we have someone who can go set it up at Christmastime. The little girl still isn't doing very well, but she's alive and out of the hospital and that's more than her dad thought he was going to have.

I hope mine will get there today for you, Becky. I mailed them a week ago yesterday, and it usually only takes one week--sometimes, things I mail on Monday even arrive on Saturday the same week. Sorry it's taking so long this time...

Archived