Crocheting is form men too!

Mark D Livingston

G'day, welcome. I taught my boyfriend (now husband) how to crochet. His mum and I would spend some evenings crocheting and watching TV. He got to the stage that if you can't beat them, join them. So he asked me to teach him. He doesn't do anything fancy but so far he has made a blanket for our daughter and is half way through making one for our son. At times he probably does more crochet than me.

That's awesome Ozwombat, and very cute that he makes them for your children.

I tried teaching a few people to crochet, but inevitably I'm not the best teacher. :l

:clap Welcome to the group! I'm fairly new here myself.

If you think about it, men were actually the first to crochet and knit....way back in ancient times! They crocheted the netting for their fishing boats.

My aunt taught ALL of her kids to crochet, every winter they all, even the boys, would make their own slippers and such.

My grandfather taught himself when he was in his 70's. We lived with him for a few years, when I was 11-13 and I started learning to knit and crochet....he thought it was pretty cool, so he picked up one of my crochet hooks and started! He began by tearing up bread wrappers and made rugs for the cold floors. We walked on plastic everywhere in his home! He then bought a sewing machine and also embroidered pillow cases. This was all from a man who originally built houses and spent many hours in his woodshop.

Hello all!

I remember my grandmother working dilligently on crochet projects and being fascinated by her ability to transform thread and yarn into such beautiful creations. I was about 6 years old when she taught me and to this day (I am now close to 50) I've learned so many techniques and designs and so happy that I was able to carry on with my grandmother's legacy. It is a wonderful form of therapy for this crazy world we live in. So in summary, crocheting is not just for the ladies, men are good at it too!

Welcome to the 'ville Mark! We've known for a while that men are great at crochet too. There are several male villers here that prove that fact everyday :hook

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm just learning to navigate through this website and I hope that I can post some of my creations soon. I crochet at the intermediate to advanced level and I just love to make gifts for my friends and loved ones.

P.S. I'm from Northern New Mexico - Las Vegas (the original) where the Rockies meet the Great Plains. It's a beautiful area and we still see the four seasons. That's what I like about crocheting, there's a project for every season.

Keep your finger nimble!

Archived