Belle Fleur Scarf

ManfaMae

Question

I'm working on the Belle Fleur Scarf (free pattern at http://www.stitchnationyarn.com/Patterns/belle-fleur-scarf.html). I made it thorough the tedious garland and am now trying to figure out the flower. I've frogged and started over 5 times now and can't seem to get it to look like the picture. In the picture it looks like a curly part in the front center with two layers of flower petals. I get the curly middle part and the 6 petals, but I get lost on Round 4. It says "keeping flower to front, slip st in the first back loop". First back loop where? Adding onto the flower petal I just did or a back loop somewhere else?

I'm so confused! If anyone else has made this and has any insight for me, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd been thinking about making two of these scarves, but after this one, I don't know if I can make myself go through it again.

6 answers to this question

haven't made it, but here's what I think it means---in the previous rounds you worked into the front loops of stitches. on round 4 you work into the back loops of those same sts.

let me know if that doesn't make sense given what you've done so far:)

I tried working in the front loops one of the times I did it, but it didn't make it look like it was two separate petals like in the picture. Maybe it's not supposed to be like the picture and that's where I'm getting confused. It also says that there are only 18 sc at the end of the round and it seems like there would be much more after completing the round.

:cheerI have just made one of these flowers and it is looking good.

As long as you join the first row behind the twisty bit, you should be on track for the next row.

The first row of petals are worked into the Front Loops only of the SCs from the previous row.

The next row is a little fiddly because you need to fold the petals towards you so you can work the next row of SC into the Back Loops of the SCs you have just worked into the front of, on the previous row.:think

The next stage is to create another row of petals which are worked over 18SC so you are working over 3SC to create each petal.

Looks like the coil is just left to hang out but you could stitch it in as you sew the flowers to your scarf.

I have also just made one with a slight change.

Instead of working the 18SC behind the first row of petals, I just repeated Row3 of the Petals directly onto the Back Loops left when you worked the first row of petals.

Very slightly smaller but perfectly formed.

I did this one without the coil which means you could stitch it on with a pretty button in the centre.

These flowers also make pretty broches if you stitch a pin or brooch back firmly to the back, just above the centre so the top of the flower does not droop.

You could also make a shorter version of the trailing leaves to add to the brooch.

Very cute.

I have also made flowers similar to this but on the last row, I have joined two petals to create a flower garland, adding leaves later.

Very cute also.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, PM me if you still having problems.

Thanks so very much for the help!! I guess I wasn't visualizing it the way it really is when I was reading the pattern. I just completed my second flower and I think the scarf will look really cute on my 14 year old neice:) I like the idea of making a brooch with these flowers as well. That would be a great Christmas gift for my co-workers!

Archived