How much is a scarf worth?

Hi everyone! I have been working on several scarves that take about 2-3 hours to make(I haven't timed myself). They're v-stitch scarves with tassles at the end and are fairly simple to make but take time. I've never sold scarves before so I don't know how much to sell them for. Does anyone have any suggestions?

post-21302-135897582924_thumb.jpg

How pretty, how did you get the one on the right to stripe that way! I haven't sold too many, usually just give them away, but the last ones I remember selling, had a hat with it, to match, and I think I got 15.99 out of them, at a booth, at a craft fair...Not bad, sorta depends on the material you used, and such, as we all know, we NEVER get paid enough for the work time and effort we have into a project, ;) Good luck though, and don't forget, donating to a good cause won't put money in your pocket, but it will put a smile in your heart!

Don't sell them for less than $18.00. Your scarves are beautiful so price them accordingly. When I use to do craft shows I never sold my scarves for less than $20. Your time is worth something and you can make enough to pay for your time and materials. It may be minimum wage but it's still something. :-D I use to sell my beanies too and I made about 8 profit per hat. Takes me about an hour for a beanie using a "G" or "H" hook and worsted weight yarn. That's about $8.00 an hour and less than a couple bucks for materials. You can make money with crafty. You just have to find ways to be effecient. :-D

Good Luck with selling your scarves!!

Julee

Those are really very pretty scarves!! Last year I sold scarf & hat sets for $15 & $20, those seemed to sell faster than selling the hat or scarf separately. (I also use very simple stitches and some of the yarn I use, I have bought on sale).

I was just looking at Sunday's Penny's Circular and they have a "popcorn stitch" scarf on sale for $12.99(reg. price $26).

I also find that in the town I live in........there seem to be a lot of "crocheters/knitters"..............I hear a lot of "oh look Ruth, I think I can make that"........or.............."HOW MUCH?"------Oh, I can make that for cheaper(these are the people that I have to bite my tongue so not to tell them off!!):eek :eek

I hear a lot of "oh look Ruth, I think I can make that"........or.............."HOW MUCH?"------Oh, I can make that for cheaper(these are the people that I have to bite my tongue so not to tell them off!!):eek :eek

I'm afraid to say, that I am one of those people. If I see something I like, I will check to see if I have a pattern or check on line and make it myself. As a crocheter, I know all too well how underappreciated our time/work is, but I'm such a "frugal" (okay, cheapo lol!) that I usually try to make the things myself.

• 2 weeks later...

what people don't seem to realize, is what we are making is a one of a kind, hand made creation. of course the could go to a store and get something there for less, but so can every other person :) I agree with the cost of the supplies times 3, that seems fair, don't be afraid to charge what your time and effort are worth.

I would say it all depends on your clientele. Can you ascertain what they can afford and would be willing to pay? If you know your target audience and its financial bracket, you're set!

What you sell them for depends on the cost of the yarn and how complicated the pattern is. I start my scarves at $25 and sell them for as high as $70. You'll never get paid for your time. If you price them too cheap, most people think that you used junk yarn. Don't sell yourself short.

Archived