Plarn Bedrolls for the Homeless

Becks

Hey all...

skimmed through some of the posts, and I'm just to antsy to read them all, but I wanted to chime in.

I've also worked with plarn and find that the good thing about it is that it adapts quite well to most any size hook--I've not had the cutting issue...odd. I've only done a few things, one is a soap dish worked with a 4mm hook (approx 1" plarn), one is a knitted boa with like 25mm needles (same plarn).

As for the sleeping pad, having slept outside by a river once myself, the only thing I have to add is thickness. If there is a way to assure thickness--perhaps a double layer--that is, two pieces sewn together flat, that would probably be more comfortable.

Most Kroger and Meijer stores that I've been to have a receptacle where people are invited to place their plastic bags so that they can be recycled. I'm assuming lots of grocery stores are doing this now--so just go over to a grocery store and pick up a load out of the recycle bin. I've only done this once and not had an issue with yucky bags. in fact, some of them smelled like cinnamony-goodness!! That way, you don't have to go splurging on whatever just to get bags. You could also ask your friends or church to save them for you. Or ask the grocer to double bag for you if they bag for you...just some thoughts...

I bet it doesn't take a month to make one--who knows...I haven't tried it so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but as long as you are enjoying what you are doing, it doesn't really matter how much time it takes. Time is irrelevant in that matter.

Also, someone suggested straps to roll it up and make it easier to secure and carry--excellent idea, IMO.

:pizza

schcrochet, if you decide to go with plarn bags, let us know, and give us an idea of the pattern, so we can help!

Will do, am hoping to hear back from my source today. I am most intrigued by this. The idea seems so good, but I want to be sure it's really usable and practical for the intended receiver before forging ahead.

I like the suggestion of strapes, and the re-cycle bin too. I've also heard people use the larger garbage bags to make yarn; but part of the point of using the plastic bags is reduce, reuse, and recycle; so I don't want people buying bags for the purpose or even getting extra bags from the store that haven't been used. That goes against my green heart. The idea of collecting bags already used from friends seems the way to go. Plus, I'm wondering if their being used would make them softer for those who talked about getting cuts?

Hoping to be back in touch later today ladies, many thanks

Sandy

Plus, I'm wondering if their being used would make them softer for those who talked about getting cuts?

Prossibly...that's right: probably + possibly = prossibly :)

Hi Ladies

I've spent lots of time over the last couple of days exploring this idea a bit. the article was written in Chico, which is near Sacramento California....and that may be very key to this project.

I've spoken to several camping equipment experts from Outdoor Source and REI. Both applaud the IDEA of making something to help homelss. The IDEA could be good IF, it's used in a warm climate, if it's used in a fairly dry climate. It's potential worse then using nothing if used in a cold, wet, damp, climate.

Plastic does not wick. Wool wicks and therefore stays dryer longer than cotton. Wet=cold. Even in cold temperatures the body sweats, causing moisture which won't wick away on the plastic. Thick of the holes created when you knit and or crochet...if moisture gets into those holes and it's cold enough it will freeZe. You then have the potential of being colder and or worse dying of hypothermia. One the camping experts suggested it might be an idea that needed tweeked. If a ground cloth were beneath it separating it from the ground it would be better. If it were used on the top instead of on the bottom it might be better. Regular ground cloths cut to appropriate size would be better than plarn made from grocery bags knitted or crocheted in cold, wet areas like The Midwest that gets lots of freeZing rain and snow and sleet. In dryer warmer climates it's probably a good idea.

Closed cell foam is used as a lightweight backpack mat which is both insulating, and adds comfort vs the hard ground. It can be rolled and is light weight. Not something you can make; but if one really wants to provide something for them to sleep on to get them off the ground that's probably a better option.. Years ago the closed cell form was new and not cheap. I'll see what I can learn about that next.

Sacramento doesn't get freezing temperatures do they? So, for that location it might be a good project. Where's everyone from here in this thread? These plarn rolls might be a reasonal option for summer in most areas; but not winter.

I think a stuff sack is a really good idea. Love the picture. Fun color on the left, what bags are those. Yes....your weather in Indiana....like ours, actually you typically get it first; so probably not a good thing for winter unless it has a drop cloth under it.

I priced the closed cell foam again at REI and Outdoor Source, the cheapest one I found was $20.00.

I did discuss this quite a bit with the person at REI(a co-op outdoor equipment place hubby and I've been members of for going on 40 years), and she thought something sewn to the bottom would be good...if we cut drop clothes because they are solid. Stitching though would need to be tiny stitches if you cut the cloth and then treated with water proofing. I do know this works well, having always treated our tent with the stuff./ Seriously one year it was like we were sleeping on a water bed there was so much rain beneath us.....but the water proofing held and we were dry.

So for those already making them I think adding a draw string for a bag is a good idea if you're already large. If you're not that large yet....can you double it for a mat to sit on? Stitch a cover for it? Make some ditty bags?

I have one other idea rolling around in my head that involved styrofoam; but need a few more details so will bag.

Ok, this is what I'm changing.

I'm going to make a round barrel-shaped duffle bag out of what I have, (see my previous post from yesterday.)

It will be shaped like this. But I think I will make the strap from end to end and it will be long like a cross-body strap.

I've pulled out the tan plarn so it's 33" by 40" long. (The crocheted white part in my photo).

I'm crocheting the tan plarn into two circles which will be the sides of the duffle bag. (40 inch circumferences to the circles). This will be a very big duffle bag that a person can carry all their things in.

For closing the bag I'm thinking of two small crocheted ties to securely close it.

I'll post a picture tomorrow hopefully.

Ok, I finished it. It's now bedroll bag. I pulled out the tan part half-way and kept the rest to be a flap which will cover over the opening.

The bag with the tan flap for closure.

Here it is with the flap lifted up.

I had a small blanket inside and now I've taken that out.

My son with the bag and strap unknotted.

Holding the bag with the strap knotted.

Back view of the bag end.

Front view of the other bag end.

Do you think this would be something a homeless person would use or need?

It's very light-weight and strong and would hold lots of stuff.

Archived