Ramblinlady

My Christmas Tree Skirt

post-34169-135897579252_thumb.jpg

I hope you all enjoy this pattern. I wanted to share it early enough so that you can make your own for Christmas. I didn't have anyone to test the pattern, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them. I'm told that sometimes I explain too much, but I hope I haven't done so here.

Huggles,

Mary (Ramblinlady)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I started out using a pattern from CW Christmas 1981, and made several from it for myself and gifts. But I was frustrated that it wasn't easy to make the Tree Skirt longer if I wanted. So I reversed the pattern and came up with my own. Here it is. It can be easily lengthened or shortened. It can lay flat under the tree or ruffle. I've made the same pattern also with 2 strands of worsted weight yarn, 1 strand of sport yarn or sport-size cotton yarn for mini trees. I have taken a full skirt I've made and used it under an 8 foot tree and also used the same one on my buffet under a 3 foot tree, and it looked beautiful in both situations. It works nicely under the tree, or covering the stand. The H hook works well for me for worsted weight yarn and my tension. Use what lays nice for you. I think the original pattern in CW called for a G hook.

Only stitches needed are chain, slip stitch and double crochet.

Starting out with 4 skeins worsted yarn. 3 oz. each and an H hook

Chain 164.

Row 1: Dc in 3rd chain from hook (chain 2 doesn't count as a dc in my work) Dc in next chain, chain 8, skip 8 chain, dc in next 2 chain. Repeat across. Ch 2, turn. (try not to twist your starting chain as you do this row. It will make your work look nicer if you don't.

Row 2, 3, 4: Dc in each dc with ch 8 between each group of dc, chain 2, turn.

Row 5: 1 dc in first dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, chain 8. Repeat across to last 2 dc. 2 dc in 1st dc, 1 dc in next dc. Chain 2, turn.

Row 6, 7, 8: Repeat Row 2.

NOTES: What you will be doing with this tree skirt is that the chain 8's will be turned 180 degrees, and then lace the next one through the loop just made, twist it 180 degrees and repeat the process. I do this starting at the widest part of the tree skirt and work up to the narrowest. Once you have all of them laced, you will thread the tie through them all to hold them in place and tie the skirt to the trunk of your tree. Or simply tie it to make a circle that can be used in other ways.

As I make this tree skirt, I frequently lace up the loops to see how the tree skirt is laying. If it is ruffling too much, I add more non-increase rows (Row 2). If it is curling, I add more increase rows. And you can add as many rows as you wish to make your tree skirt as big as you wish. Adapt it to your crochet tension and yarn and tree skirt needs.

Row 9: 1 dc in each of first 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 10: Repeat Row 2.

Row 11: 1 dc in each of first 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 3 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 12, 13: Repeat Row 2.

Row 14: 1 dc in each of first 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 6 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 15, 16: Repeat Row 2.

Row 17: 1 dc in each of first 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 8 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 18: Repeat Row 2.

Row 19: 1 dc in each of first 6 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 10 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 20, 21: Repeat Row 2.

Row 22: 1 dc in each of first 7 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 12 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 23: Repeat Row 2.

Row 24: 1 dc in each of first 8 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, * 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of next 14 dc, 2 dc in next dc, chain 8, repeat from * across. 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. chain 2, turn.

Row 25: Repeat Row 2.

Now, I lace up all the loops, so that the end loops are at the shortest side of the tree skirt. (In the center of your circle.) Then I made my tie by crocheting a chain of 100, and then turn and slip stitch into 2nd chain from hook and all the remaining chains. I laced that through the loops at the short side of my tree skirt.

Next I took white and made one more repeat of row 2, but added the bumps, which are made by making chain 4, and then slip stitch around the last dc you made. At the end of the row I chained 1, turned and made sc evenly up side of tree skirt. Ch 1, place 1 sc in each dc and ch 1 between each. Halfway along this side I caught a bit of the center of the tie in one sc, just so it won't be lost when I wash the tree skirt. Continue across this side, chain 1, turn and make sc evenly spaced down the final side. Finish off. Sew in ends.

© Mary L. L. Roberts (Ramblinlady) September 2010

Thank you. And yes, I've made it with thread. I had some cotton yarn, probably lustersheen size, that was in Christmas variegated and it made a nice tree skirt for a mini tree. I find that not all of the mini trees have pretty stands, and a crocheted tree skirt takes care of that nicely.

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by bumping this pattern of mine. But since it's getting close to Christmas, I thought it might come in handy for someone. Enjoy!

Love this and very nice pic. I did one back in the late 80s from a yarn wrapper and love it worked up great but hmmmm when my X left so did my tree skirt and i keep telling myself I am gonna make another just haven't found yarn I like yet.

I'm glad my pattern can be of help. I know that the skirt makes up very quickly for me, and I'm not a fast crochet person.

I'm also working on a cape/sweater for myself with leftovers of Simply soft and the same pattern. Only change I made was that I'm using a chain 6 instead of a chain 8 between the dc groups. I'm a large lady and wanted something to keep my shoulders and arms warm, but also keep my arms free to crochet or do other things. So far it's coming out very nicely. I'll try to get a piccie of it when I'm done and share here.

As far as the yarn goes, I've collected yarn at after Christmas sales for years, so I had plenty to work with :)

Wow this is a great looking tree skirt. I have been considering making one for next year and I think I just found the pattern! Thanks for sharing!!

MissHSoo,

Thank you, and I'm glad you like the pattern. You're most welcome. And what's nice about it is, you'll see as you make it that it can be made as long as you wish, to fit any size tree. The skirt can be very easily enlarged and it works well with all yarns, I believe.

Hi Ramblinlady. Very pretty tree skirt -- I really like those colors!

I might attempt this but I have a couple questions. You wrote that there are variables in how the piece lays, and I'm quoting:

"As I make this tree skirt, I frequently lace up the loops to see how the tree skirt is laying. If it is ruffling too much, I add more non-increase rows (Row 2). If it is curling, I add more increase rows."

Can you clarify that a little? Based on the result you're getting (ruffling or curling) you would add more of row 2 or more increase rows? I don't understand. I am assuming it would increase in each section, sort of like a pizza pie slice, uniformly--so I don't understand the variables - perhaps I would if I just went ahead and made one??? :)

Also, you wrote that you reversed the pattern from CW Dec. 1981. Does that mean it was worked from the bottom up in decreases, thus limiting the length it can be and by reversing it, you have made it from the top down, enabling it to be a long as one likes?

That might account or the variable causing ruffling/and/or curling.

I sure would love to see the original pattern if possible, so I can wrap my head around it. It was probably pretty standard "back in the day".

Thanks for any answers you can provide. Donna

Donna,

Yes, if you find that the skirt is curling up on the outer edge when you lace up the top to see how it fits around the tree, and you want it to lay flat then add more of round 2's. If you want it to be very ruffly on the outer edge, add a lot more of round 2's.

The original pattern was made from the outer edge in, using decreases and worsted weight yarn. And it was limited, being made this way, to a skirt that wasn't any "longer" than the one you see in my picture. But I wanted one that could be used under different sized trees, and be made with different size yarn/thread.

Some years I use a small artificial tree, other years I have a 7 or 8 foot real tree. Sometimes I only want one that covers the tree stand and other times I want one that shows under the outer edge of the packages. So I reversed the way the pattern was made. And thus it can be made to fit most situations.

I hope this helps.

Thank you When my girls were just babys My Aunt mailed me this pattern I made three One for me and each of my sister inlaws long story short They are grown and ask me to make them one I have spent hours looking for pattern ...Im glad we met