One Skein Tunisian Scarf

amydepew

Copied and pasted directly from my blog...

So, if you are anything like me, you lurve the feel of Homespun yarn but hate actually crocheting with it. Maybe it's just me, but I have the hardest time seeing my stitches using this yarn, and I am constantly splitting it with the hook. So beautiful, so soft, so evil.

Anyway, for me, Tunisian crochet is the answer! Using this technique allows me to use this lovely yarn for good and not firepit kindling. And, like most fiber addicts, I bet you have a skein (or 8) of this torturous yarn laying about, without purpose, without future prospects. And, like most, you hate the notion of tossing out perfectly good yarn. Well, let me solve that for ya! This scarf pattern doesn't curl, has really nice drape and is very warm and soft. And on top of all that, it's washable! Yay!

One Skein Tunisian Scarf

Materials:

Bulky weight yarn - yep, you guessed it, one skein Homespun

9 mm afghan hook

Time needed: about 3 hours, more or less, depending on the number of children you have running about screaming that they want juice, are fighting with their siblings, just dropped a paint can on the floor...oh, I digress...

Notes: all return rows are done as normal - y/o, pull through one for the first stitch, y/o pull through two for the remaining stitches in the row.

Stitches used:

Tss - Tunisian simple stitch Slide hook from right to left under the post of the stitch and draw up a loop.

Tdc - Tunisian double crochet. Y/o, slide hook from right to left under the post of the stitch, draw up a loop, y/o and pull through 2.

Sc - single crochet. Um, I bet you know this one already. :)

Directions:

Ch 15

Row 1: with one loop on, tss across the chain, return row

Row 2: ch 2 (counts as first tdc), tdc across the row, return row

Row 3 - : repeat Rows 1 and 2, until you reach the desired length, or until you reach the end of the skein.

Bind off using sc.

There, couldn't be simpler. :)

Enjoy!

post-18179-135897578057_thumb.jpg

Yay! Someone who feels the same way about the "Homespun yarn", I definately will try this pattern. Love the colors, love the feel, but really, really dislike crocheting with it!

Thanks so much for finding a way to use this stuff. Might work with "bounche" yarn , also.

Could you adapt this pattern to make an afghan in tunisian panels??

Are you kidding? Absolutely! That's an awesome idea! If you don't want the paneled effect, just chain a whole lot more and repeat the pattern until you reach the length you want. I would swatch it out first though, so you know how many to chain in the first place. And I would DEFINITELY get an afghan hook with a cable attached to the end. Otherwise that hook will get so heavy your wrist will feel like breaking.

If you make one, by all means, let me know! :)

I know what you mean about homespun. It's my second favorite yarn, in spite of its problems. I don't worry so much about not being able to see my stitches because I can always feel them and just crochet by touch. The splitting though! I just made a scarf and I bet half the stitches had the yarn tangling around itself and my hook!

That is a very fine scarf.

Until now I only know the Tunesian simple stitch so I have many other stitches to learn so I can make fine things. So I only use the Tunesian simple stitches now. I can also do the version where you also work in the back of the needlework. And I have made a pair of mittens - my first ones Tunesian crochetting around.

I am going to give this scarf a try. I also have trouble seeing the stitches and I too go by feeling. I knitted scarfs with fun fur last year because I had trouble seeing the stitches in crochet.

Neat!

I have trouble with Tunisian on big projects , The way I hold the hook and fabric makes my bad thumbs hurt worse than normal:angry

I started a scarf last night to see, and yeah no pain!:clap, so I am off to use my homespun stash to make comfort scarves for rape crisis centers! Homespun is soooo soft.

I do crochet with homespun on small projects, I figure that if there are no big holes ,I managed to use all the stitches:devil-- and larger hooks do help:yes

thanks for this wonderful idea!:hug

Love the scarf! Was wondering about the hook? Where does one get a hook like that?

By the way, I love the Def Leppard quote!

any good crafting store should have them Joanns,Michaels etc, also available on line.

They are long and strait with an end cap much like a knitting needle called a

Tunisian or afghan hook . Some are double ended and some have long plastic ends like a circular knitting needle to carry lots of stitches for a whole afghan.

the only pictures I could find are wood,mine are aluminum just like my regular crochet hooks

http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=EDJE02

I ordered all my afghan hooks (single and double-ended) from eKnittingNeedles.com. I bought bamboo, although I would have preferred aluminum (just a personal preference). I did get one Tunisian J hook from Michaels years ago and I still use it all the time.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on this scarf. It's so easy and I am just letting the yarn do the work. I have some boucle up for this project next. In fact, all my difficult, textured yarn will be made into scarves like this, I think. LOL

Archived