Dear Abby 9/21/2010

ratdog

Question about a crocheted baby set being treated as a Family Heirloom.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/features/20100921_Dear_Abby__Should_crocheted_baby_set_become_family_heirloom_.html

(I did not want to cut and paste the article for fear of copyright violations - the link is one of many on the web that carried the Dear Abby Column)

For once I agree with Abby. Let them all have it for a while, with it coming back to you. I think it would be treasured more with the use of the articles. Something not worn and just put away is, to me not an heirloom. An heirloom is something much loved and used that is passed down to preserve the heritage of the family.:hook

By the way, I loved the second letter.:hug

we have a christening gown in our family that is an heirloom....one stipulation is for a picture of the baby in the gown....as the favourite aunt it could be your job to catalogue the heirloom....I realize I am responding to the article but it is an idea for anyone making or passing along an heirloom.....actually when giving any baby gift I like to have a picture of it being worn ..I have become the family historian and like to document any event

We have a Christening dress in our family. IT's been passed around to many of the babies with white, pink or blue ribbons to show the sex of the baby wearing it. It's crocheted and stunningly simple so it really does go well either way.

We all know it live with Cousin S and the dress and the bassinet always go back to her when the baby outgrows it.

On a horrible side - my Grandmother used to crochet all the grandkids (9) clothing as well. My Mom went to visit with her brother and the really ornamental christening gown that my Grandmother made was in a pile in the corner and the dog was sleeping on it. (There's lot's I could say about my aunt but will refrain - this is a crochet forum after all).

I think a lot of it depends on the family and the individuals directly. We're talking about totally different sides of the family and look how the crochet work was treated.

Archived