two questions on stiffening flakes

darah

Just two quick questions from a flake first-timer:

How long does it typically take for your flakes to fully dry out during the stiffening process? Also, those of you who use the sugar-water method, do your flakes turn out totally stiff or just somewhat? I used as much sugar as the boiling water would hold, but it's been half a day and the flake is still not very stiff.

Thoughts?

For my snowflakes, I use half Elmer's glue and half water. You can make it as stiff as you like. (The sugar/water around here could encourage insects). I usually wait for a sunny day and set them out in full sun on the patio. Sometimes it only takes a couple of hours. The stiffening lasts for many years without having to redo it. Darah, good luck with yours.

I use the glue/water mixture also. It works really well. And I usually have to let them set overnight at least. Depends on relative humidity of course, (and sun, and temps)

HTH

yup - what she said.

My Mom had an Easter decoration that was stiffened with sugar for years. One year the humidity was horrible and it just collapsed in on itself into a sticky mess.

Down here in FL I wouldn't even consider using sugar. I usually let my flakes dry overnight. If they're still damp - give them a second night.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Thankfully this one is just for attaching to a card (sending my mom a "Christmas in September" gift), so I doubt she'll keep it. Who knows with her, though. I'm happy to report it stiffened up nicely and looks great. I'll see if I can post a pic of it before I send it off.

I did pick up some white glue today (how in the world did I not have any white glue in all my craft stuff?), so I'll be trying that method next.

• 2 weeks later...
:think have you added some fine glitter to the glue/water mixture? I like sparkles with the tree lights and was wondering if it worked.

Crayola has glitter glue pens in 9 colors that I have used for years. It's great. The glitter is very fine and crystal, silver and gold look wonderful on snowflakes. The other color are great in butterflies.

Crayola has glitter glue pens in 9 colors that I have used for years. It's great. The glitter is very fine and crystal, silver and gold look wonderful on snowflakes. The other color are great in butterflies.

so do you just color them on once they are dried??

No, I wash them, put them wet in a ziplock bag with a little glue (white school glue) and a little of the glitter glue. Smosh them around in the bag to distribute the glitter evenly, squeeze out as much liquid and pin them out.

oh i never thought to use glue / water. my gran and mom always used powered starch or can starch and then iorin them. what a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I made many crochet snowflakes as gifts with the cards I sent. I stiffened them with the Elmer's glue/water formula as previously suggested. When they were still wet and being blocked, I springkled a very light amount of holographic glitter (DecoArt- GlamorDust) on them. Some flakes were not completely dry the next day so I got out my trusty old hair dryer I keep in my studio and blasted them with a medium setting. Dried in no time flat!

Archived