When someone has a baby...

When a baby blanket is needed, Do you  

52 members have voted

1. 1. When a baby blanket is needed, Do you

• Look through your tried and true patterns and select one of those?
    • Find a brand new pattern to try from your stash?
    • Look through all your patterns and find one that you have made before?
    • Look for a brand new one to try from the internet?

It came to my attention that my son has a favorite teacher who just had a baby girl.

I spent all kinds of time looking for a blanket pattern, only to find a pattern that I have made a few times already and decided that I would make that one.

And I have done this many times. I have a million patterns, but I go back to the ones I've made before.

Do you do this? Or do you try a new one?

I have only made realy 2 blankets and they wer the same pattern. and I"m working on a 3rd. and its the same pattern. just done in diffrent colors.. as the 2 people who requested it.. wanted one after seeing the first one i made. .but wanted it specialized in colors of their choosing :).

I check the Baby Gift Registry the parents sign up with and choose the styles and colors by their choice for crib sheets, bumperpads, mobiles, etc. This helps greatly. If there is not a chosen registry, then I try to find out the parents color preferences. Then, I choose a pattern either from my huge stash of old and new patterns. Lion Brand Yarns has some fantastic patterns both traditional and modern. :)

I like variety so I will try something different unless there is a specific request for a pattern and colors. That has only happened once, so I picked some patterns for her to look over and the girl (a friend of mine) chose a pattern I hadn't done before but it was a simple pattern and the colors she chose matched her babys' room perfectly. Even if it is a new pattern, I make sure it is not overly involved, especially if there is a time frame involved.

LI Roe

we have a large family so for my nieces and nephews to be i try to make each baby a unique blanket. As for the cousin's children I try to make one blanket that will be gender neutral and can be used for multiple babies...I say try because i never seem to do that...every baby gets their own blanket just maybe not as fancy as the niece and nephew ones

Hate to admit it, but I usually do something I've done a lot, unless it's for a close friend. After I've made something a few times, I can crochet and read at the same time, and I like to read as much as I like to crochet!

The first few couple that I made were the same pattern (a shell pattern of some sort). Then I made one with the diagonal box stitch in light green as the base color with a couple of rainbow color panels because she wanted Noah's Ark things and we didn't know if it was a boy or girl.

For the last one (my future SIL's baby) I picked a pattern that inspired me and did it in pink, blue, white and variegated.

So I guess my answer is that I tend to stick to tried and true but also base it on the occasion. I would just go with whatever I felt inspired and able to do.

I wanted to check all the options in this poll!

I will fall back on the tried and true when I have limited time, but I love to experiment and challenge myself, so if I have 8 months to make one I will go for something new.

Most of the babies the last couple yrs have gotten starghans but when I asked my SIL what colors she wanted for my nephew she requested a scrapghan because she loved the one I had made for my niece and other kids.

I try to think of the recipient, and select a pattern/colors based on what I believe they would like, or that would match the baby's room/decor. There are some patterns that I do often because they are well-liked. And then, there are those to whom I lend my books and let them choose what they want. ;)

I pretty much do all of the above. When a friend or family member is having a baby they tend to get SPOILED from grandma, auntie, best friend, whatever I am to the baby and his/her family. I make a ton of stuff. Course everyone likes to tell me as soon as they find out! LOL I don't mind though.

I try, if possible, to find a pattern I can use with yarn I already have. If not, I just look online and in my books until something catches my eye. I do use the same patterns alot, but I'm not afraid to try something new. Alot of time I will just do a big granny square, because I can stop when I run out of yarn!

I too tend to go back to a pattern I've done before, a lacy look for girls and a plainer one for boys. There are several that fall into that category and when I have extra time, I look for a new one to try with yarn in my stash. I just like knowing how the blanket will turn out.

I confess, I like a challenge, so I often look for a brand-new pattern. I try to find one without holes, though, as many mothers have told me that they prefer baby blankets without holes.

:c9

Archived