Fav brand of hook

MissyAnn

When I learned how to crochet all they had were boye hooks in the store so I bought one then some where down the road it disappeared so I ran into Joann's I think it was and just grabbed a hook off the shelf and started my project back up. I looked at the hook later and it was a Bates hook and it worked so much easier for me I ran and got the whole set. I do love my wooden hooks as well as they are based around the Bates hooks and are light weight for me. I tried using a Boye hook again and its to awkward for me.

What wood hooks are based on Susan Bates hooks? :)

What wood hooks are based on Susan Bates hooks? :)

Greydog has the same "hook" head has Bates. they are found on :ebay They are light weight and wonderful to use. I have also found that Craftdesigns4u.com has some custom wooden hooks and they are a lot like the Bates hooks to me as well

Greydog has the same "hook" head has Bates. they are found on :ebay They are light weight and wonderful to use. I have also found that Craftdesigns4u.com has some custom wooden hooks and they are a lot like the Bates hooks to me as well

Many thanks for the information! :)

• 3 months later...

I never really stopped to think about my favorite brand of hook. As long as I have the right size I don't normally worry about it. But I just looked at my hooks and the vast majority of them are Boye. I have a few Susan Bates Acrylics but I guess my GMiL liked the Boye.

• 1 month later...

Either Clover Soft Touch or ChiaoGoo. (I know, unrecognizable, right? Here, lemme go back and link it. Got 'em at my LYS.) These larger handles are much more comfy than the skinny tubes of Bates, Boye or whatever. Sizing is set up differently but I can still find something close enough to work.

ETA close picture of a ChiaoGoo. You can see the bamboo handle.

post-11235-135897635782_thumb.jpg

Just recently treated myself to the Clover Soft Touch. I have fallen in love with them. Plus I have a size K crochet hook that Jimbo made for me. I love it too as the handle part of the hook is larger and easier for me to hold.

I love crochet hooks and have way too many. I have a complete set of Boye plastic (?) hooks from the 70s that I love to use. (They're nothing like the acrylic hooks of today.) The hook is different from the aluminum Boye hooks. I lived in fear I'd lose or break one, so my wonderful husband made molds and recreated them for me. I really don't care for Bates inline hooks, but I have a set of bamboo hooks that are inline and I really like them. The only wooden hooks I've ever tried are the Rosewood ones (Joann coupon) and I'm not too wild about them.

I crochet with Bates, Boyle, wood crochet Hooks, have several huge ones from Gray dog when he first got Started I crochet with Fabric with the Gray Dog crochet hooks. I also have a huge metal one my dad made for me in his garage. I use it to crochet with fabric. Then there the whole set made from Walnut woods, I will only use yarn on those or baby yarn. Then I have a few Olive wood and others my hubby buys me off of E-bay for gifts Christmas-birthdays etc...Have a few Corian crochet Hooks, those are short 4" and 5" short. I love them cause I do have small hands like a 12 year old. The longer crochet hooks kinda hit my wrist area and I don't like that. I also have many Afghan Crochet hooks and use them often. I do have a few favorites. As for the Boyle and bates, it just depends on the yarn or thread I am using. I don't know how many crochet hooks I have but I can imagine it is well over 100.......yep. when you have been crocheting 44 years. People pass them on to me, then there is yard sales-garage sales, thrift shops etc....Do I use them all,,,,,,,yep from time to time I do.

I started out using Boye hooks, then I heard people on here raving about Bates, so I decided to give them a try and fell in love, now I use the Boye only if I can't find my Bates for some reason, and I even hesitate to use my CrochetLite hooks bc they have a similar style to the Boye and I just have more yarn splitting issues with the Boye

I would love to find my perfect hook. I learned on and am using boyes. I just bought my mom a clover soft touch (she is learning to crochet. yay!) while, i love the big grip, i found two problems. One is I hold my hook like a knife (overhand) and I roll the hook to grab the yarn. The soft touch, not being round, was harder to roll. The other thing was it is way too short and like Pat54 said, it digs into my palm.. and I have fairly small hands. I guess just the way I hold it.

I would love to find something round but with a bigger more softer grip. I got my ring finger caught in the back hatch of our durango a few years ago. Broke it right at the first joint and messed the nerve up in it, almost cut the finger in two actually. Anyway, rolling the boye's across that finger sure makes that nerve hurt. The other day, I wrapped a bandaid around it and it helped some. I am wanting to try a bamboo hook or a wooden hook to see if it helps.

I would love to find something round but with a bigger more softer grip. I got my ring finger caught in the back hatch of our durango a few years ago. Broke it right at the first joint and messed the nerve up in it, almost cut the finger in two actually. Anyway, rolling the boye's across that finger sure makes that nerve hurt. The other day, I wrapped a bandaid around it and it helped some. I am wanting to try a bamboo hook or a wooden hook to see if it helps.

This is not a big, round handle exactly but you can get little rubber/plastic tubes (grips) to fit snugly over your hooks right where you hold them. They do make some difference, especially for the tiny hooks.

This is not a big, round handle exactly but you can get little rubber/plastic tubes (grips) to fit snugly over your hooks right where you hold them. They do make some difference, especially for the tiny hooks.

Some of the comfort grips are really short but I went to Hobby Lobby today and found a Susan Bates comfort grip that is quite long, about 4".

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/6323/1846847803p?src=http%3A%2F%2F67.138.169.96%2FCrafts%2FLargePics%2Flrg_072312.notions.jpg&d=ae67df0d738ace5d5c5d68a9dec1ae1e5b8205c0

It was the only one they had and fits up to a G hook so I got it to try. I really like the way it feels with my boye hooks. I also picked up a Susan Bates Bamboo handle F hook. I am trying it out but not sure about it yet. The bamboo part helps against that nerve but gee, that hook part is short compared to a boye!! :crocheting It doesn't grab the yarn quite as quick for me as a boye does. lol I'll have to use it a bit to see if I can get used to it if not, I love that comfort grip! :hook

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Used to be just Bates, but now I have expanded and found that different hooks work better with certain yarn textures. I like Bates for smooth silky yarns as they grip them better. Boye for fuzzier yarns, as Bates sometimes gets stuck on them. Rose (coated metal) for inbetween sizes I can't find in the Bates/Boye categories. Wood ones are nice if you' re doing a more open stitch. And of course the steel hooks for my thread in both Bates or Boye dependent on the tension I want to use...

I have had 60+years of testing and practicing stitches, and find I don't want to be confined to just one Brand or type. Most important to me is the thumb rest, it keeps me from turning the hook, and that helps with my tension.

• 2 months later...

Im a Clover convert, my "old" hooks were ones given to me by my mam, she'd never used them, they were just plain alluminium hooks. Ive now switched clover soft touch

• 1 month later...

Archived