Fav brand of hook

MissyAnn

I prefer clover, or boye, would love to try some of the custom ones, does anyone know, do they change the look of the crochet, for instance a wooden hook, would the stitiches look diff?? Forgive my ignorance,I just have never had a custom hook, sooo don't know! thanks.

Susan Bates bamboo handled hooks, I won't use anything else.

I find it so interesting that we are all so loyal to our favorite brands. The lady who taught me how to crochet was a dedicated Boye hooker. She said that the Bates hooks were awful to use for a variety of reasons and wouldn't use anything else, so for the first couple of years, that's all I used.

One day, just for the heck of it, I tried a Bates hook and found that it was much easier for me to use. It seemed to grab the yarn better and I wasn't splitting my yarn as much. Ever since then I've only used Bates hooks and the bamboo handled ones are so much easier on my aching hands, I just love them.

This would be such a boring world if we all liked the same things! :hook

Clover Soft Touch! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I'm with you! My hands love the Soft Touch hooks. I want to try one of the new Etimo hooks out to see how my hands like them too.

Boye...I think it's something about the way you hold the hook. I use a pencil grip, but my friend holds hers in her palm. The hook goes in sort of sideways on mine, but straight with her. Bates hooks feel lighter to me, too, and throw off the rhythm of my stitching.

I'm Boye all the way.

I have hooks from Bates and they are too short in my hand and so the end digs in my palm. I also put the soft cushions on all my hooks otherwise I wouldn't be able to crochet for very long. I bought a beautiful set of hand made wood hooks but I couldn't get use to them and they cost a pretty good penny. Although I would love to try Jimbo's hook, I don't want to put a lot of money into one and have the same thing happen.

my Clover bamboo hooks, all the way! Oh, and the Clover soft touch for the smaller steel hooks! :c9

I started a Boye fan. Now I'm a Clover fan :) My 1.75mm steel is still a Boye. Except my 3 very special Clover Soft Touch steel hooks--which I LOVE and want em all :D-- my favorite steels are Boye's

Susan Bates bamboo handled hooks, I won't use anything else.

I find it so interesting that we are all so loyal to our favorite brands. The lady who taught me how to crochet was a dedicated Boye hooker. She said that the Bates hooks were awful to use for a variety of reasons and wouldn't use anything else, so for the first couple of years, that's all I used.

One day, just for the heck of it, I tried a Bates hook and found that it was much easier for me to use. It seemed to grab the yarn better and I wasn't splitting my yarn as much. Ever since then I've only used Bates hooks and the bamboo handled ones are so much easier on my aching hands, I just love them.

This is similar to my experience. I used to use Boye hooks (as that's all my local Wal-Mart sold). After hearing everyone rave on Crochetville about Susan Bates, I decided to give them a try and loved them! I was ecstatic when they came out with the Susan Bates Bamboo Handled hooks - no more little blue handle covers!

Another tip I picked up from someone on Crochetville...if you have yarn that splits, use the Susan Bates Quicksilver hooks. I don't know what it is about that odd coating, but it saved me from abandoning a baby blanket made out of yarn that just kept splitting no matter what I did.

my bamboo hooks i got on ebay from 8seasonsknitting, They are all I use. I only use steel/alum if i have no other choice (like i forgot my bamboo on my tke along) i keep some of the sizes i use most in my purse.

Susan Bates for me, I picked up a pack not really knowing what I was doing, but wanting to start learning, got used to them. Then my MIL was showing me how to read patterns, and she uses Boye, so I tried hers, but my yarn just kept slipping off, couldn't grab it right. What is a huge bummer for me, is my mom recently sent me my great-grandmother's hooks (they where in storage for years), I was so excited! Then when I got them, they where all Boye! lol that is ok, I still treasure them, even if I can't really use them.

I guess I am one of the odd ones that just has not found the hook for her. I have been able to use just about anything at some point in time and do ok with it. I just bought the Provo hooks (they were on clearance so I figured I would give it a shot)... I am surprised that I like them as much as I do. I usually have blisters by now when working on an afghan this long but nothing yet. I also love that I can change out my hook sizes but still keep my grip so the hook feel never changes in my hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I use aluminum Boyes for my crochet and my knitting. I do have a couple of Bates afghan hooks & Tunisian too, though. But for the majority its my Boyes. Also have a couple of hooks that I got when I first learned that have no brand name on them, but I love them.

Boye here too -- I have some odd Bates hooks but they seem shorter. I guess I am just used to the feel of Boye. I have some very nice ergnomic hooks and although they seem to feel nice, they are just not the same so they wind up sitting most of the time. I am sure one is as good as another, probably all in what a person is used to.

When I learned how to crochet all they had were boye hooks in the store so I bought one then some where down the road it disappeared so I ran into Joann's I think it was and just grabbed a hook off the shelf and started my project back up. I looked at the hook later and it was a Bates hook and it worked so much easier for me I ran and got the whole set. I do love my wooden hooks as well as they are based around the Bates hooks and are light weight for me. I tried using a Boye hook again and its to awkward for me.

Archived