DID YOU KNOW: made in CHINA Crochet Hooks

sunnywolfgar

NEW BOYE CROCHET HOOKS that has the blueish-green wrappers are made in CHINA. I bought a N crochet hook and notice when I took it off the wrapper thing it was rather on the lighter side... so looked to see where it is made.. CHINA. I'll be taking this back to WALMART. Knowing China it is bad metal or the Gold-copper paint is bad. They have been trying to poison us for years.

Your statement is a little on the mean side. Yes, we should try to buy American when we can. But something like a crochet hook, it's not a big deal.

Buy another brand if Boye offends you.

:manyheart

I didn't mean to sound mean.

I love Boye crochet hooks!

its just that being made in China, makes me worry a bit. it is something I am going to be holding a while,,while I crochet.. I worry about the metals and paint. Last christmas all toys that were bought for our grandson was made in USA, Germany, Italy.

and yes we do shop at Wal-mart sometimes, not all the time but sometimes. I do try to buy USA as much as possible. I really don't need any more crochet hooks, but I do look for other N's in different colors.

Still have not seen the Dude crochet hooks yet. I have seen them on line, but I would like to see them in person.

Let's remember Crochetville's guidelines and treat each other nicely in this thread. If you have a problem with what another member has posted and think they're violating a guideline, please don't call them out within the thread. That just helps create an unpleasant atmosphere. :( Instead, use the "Report Post" feature (the little white triangle outlined in red) to let Donna and me know about. If there's a problem, we'll take care of it.

As far as the crochet hooks being made in China, more and more goods seem to be manufactured outside the United States these days. But let's not let this devolve into some sort of political discussion about the reasons for that.

I took a look at all my crochet hooks. My older Boye hooks were stamped with "Made in U.S.A." The newer ones aren't stamped with anything.

If the manufacturing location of crochet hooks is important to you, I think it would be helpful if people posted links to all sorts of different brands of hooks, along with information about where they are manufactured. I know there are a number of small manufacturers still making hooks right here in the USA.

Let's also not forget that although the vast majority of our membership lives here in the US, we do have a significant number of members from every continent in the world (except Antarctica). Let's remember that whatever country they come from, their country likely depends on some sort of in-country manufacturing as well. Not all non-US manufacturing plants are bad. Not even all Chinese factories are bad. In fact, a lot of the components in the computer you're using to access Crochetville may be made in China!

So, anybody want to share information about where some other brands of crochet hooks are manufactured?

The JIMBO hooks, they are incredibly wonderful, expertly handcrafted and made in the USA, in Washington State. :D Here's a plug for you, Jimbo! :P

BRITTANY knitting needles and hooks are made of Birch and are made in Northern California in a town called Elk. It's a small company, but their hooks and needles are awesome!

:manyheart

I don't see any reason for you to have to have the thread deleted.

What you said wasn't mean - it was honest. From poisoning our children's toys with lead to pestisides in the dog food - you have a valid concern. Anyone who keeps up on the news should share in this concern.

One thing that we all need to remember is that on a forum this size there's bound to be people that disagree with any given post. Just because a poster doesn't agree with you or gives a reply that opposes your opinion - there's no reason to delete the entire thread.

We are ALL entitled to our opinions. The purpose of the forum is to share them.

ditto to Rose Red. I have gone as far as using fiesta bowls for my dogs water and food bowls. Maybe if you get to go to a garage sale or flea market you can find some crochet hooks made in the USA. You are intitled to your opinion and I know that you meant no harm in your post.

I would gently disagree. While I realise that there have been problems with articles manufactured in China, I really don't like statements like "they've been trying to poison us for years." I think that's a sweeping generalisation and I don't think it's fair and it probably is out of place here, on an international forum. I agree with RoseRed in the sense that one should always be aware of such news reports, but I don't think it's right to assume an entire country is on a single-handed mission to poison us/western countries :P (said tongue-in-cheek because I am aware that you probably didn't mean for it to come out quite that way.)

On a realistic note: if the hooks were manufactured for an American company, it is most likely that the American parent company has certain guidelines in place regarding substances used and (one would hope) factory conditions. I worked for a very big multinational clothing company whose clothes were primarily made in China (as most of the multinationals' items are) and they are required to maintain certain levels of safety and certain production standards if their products can be sold on the home market. We often hear about the disasters, but they are the horrible exceptions and not the rule.

In any case, I think that buying from your own country is always the best policy and I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Turn of the Century hooks yet. Also made in the USA and good quality.

PS - I also don't think you need to delete this thread. I think we can all respectfully and kindly express our opinions. Disagreement doesn't necessarily mean disharmony!

ditto to Rose Red. I have gone as far as using fiesta bowls for my dogs water and food bowls. Maybe if you get to go to a garage sale or flea market you can find some crochet hooks made in the USA. You are intitled to your opinion and I know that you meant no harm in your post.

Oh goodness, I hope you're using the NEW Fiesta Ware and not the old. Doesn't the old Fiesta contain lead? :think

This is slightly beside the point, but even if the paint contains lead, it will not hurt you to hold/use the hook. Lead is poisonous only when it's ingested, and cannot be absorbed through the skin. If the paint flakes off of *anything*, it's wise to be cautious.

Archived