Blanket from "Granny"

CrochetDad

The yarn for this blanket came from my mother-in-law, who passed away 2 years ago. My father-in-law ran across her stash of cotton yarn earlier this year and asked if I'd like to have it. Coincidentally, my daughter was expecting a baby this year and asked if I could make a blanket with the yarn from "Grandma".

I chose to make the blanket with granny squares because of the varied choices of colors. Join using the "join as you go" method. The border is two rows of single crochet followed by a row of *sc, 2dc in same stitch, skip two stitches, repeat from *

I used the "join as you go" method because I hate sewing granny squares together.

The join-as-you-go method I used can be found at Sarah London's Flickr account. There are other methods - this one just joins the last round of the granny square to the adjacent squares as you make the last round.

post-13211-135897574394_thumb.jpg

post-13211-135897574398_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous blanket for baby! Not only is it gorgeous, but it should become an heirloom, considering how special the yarn is....coming from grandma's stash. I really need to learn that join-as-you-go method. Incredibly beautiful job, CrochetDad! :cheer:cheer:cheer

Thanks so much for the nice responses...

Figuring out how to arrange the various colored squares was the biggest problem. I ALMOST got it completely balanced.

The join-as-you-go method I used can be found at Sarah London's Flickr account. There are other methods - this one just joins the last round of the granny square to the adjacent squares as you make the last round.

My own design? No, it's just simple granny squares joined using the above method. I waited until all the squares were completed (except for the last round) before I started joining them. I knew I would be using white yarn for the last round, since that was the predominant color in her stash. She had little bits - no longer than a few yards that I used for many of the first rounds. Some incomplete skeins for the second and third rounds and then the white.

I did end up using a bit of my own stash to complete the last few rounds and for the border.

What a great story to tell the grandchild one day. It's a beautiful blanket and I must try using the join-as-you go method because I love making scrap afghans. You do beautiful work. I love your Popcorn Round Ripple.

i want to start making a bunch of granny squares but have never attached them together. i'm kind of worried how it is going to end up.

i wonder if you could tell me how the join as you go method works?:)

i want to start making a bunch of granny squares but have never attached them together. i'm kind of worried how it is going to end up.

i wonder if you could tell me how the join as you go method works?:)

Archived