Let's Make Some Gifts CAL!

Alnee

The holidays are fast approaching and I dont know about anyone else but I am waaaaay far behind on my list of gifts to get done! Heck I even missed a couple of birthdays I had hoped to have something special done for... I certainly could use a little friendship, support, and a good kick in the butt to remember to work on something rather than to play online or facebook! LOL

Anyone else want to join in? I am planning out my list now... realizing I am going to have to really cut out some of the projects I wanted to do... but there will be at least 2 afghans in the mix... one decided and one not yet decided... it must be a special one for my mom!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facebook is addictive, right now the only thing I have planned is an afghan for my nieces BF/ fiancee (whatever he is) needs done by Oct. 10. After that it's just whatever I want to make and a home will be found afterwards.

I'm in! I'm drowning in Christmas projects!! I'm making a rug, which is in progress, 10 hats/gloves/scarves sets, a hand bag and I have to get started on my Son's afghan. I've been moving like a snail and I'm thinking I may have gotten in over my head. I'm fairly new to crochet so I've hit a few snags. A lot of working up a project and then unraveling it to start over and over. I'm getting frustrated with the hats. :irk

So glad that there are many that are in the same boat. How about this for enocouragment to anyone working on Christmas items:

Christmas countdown: 102 days, 13 hours, and 19 minutes!!!!! SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just my basic list and it seems to keep growing! I am usually pretty fast at projects but I have a LOT of work ahead of me... I begin round 3 of cancer treatment soon though and that usually parks me on my butt for a while being run down (and with flu season coming I am never allowed to go out and play! LOL) so I get a lot done pretty quick...

5 stockings for my house (granny square stockings... color selction kicking my butt right now)

the "Easy Filet Lighthouse and Dolphin Afghan" from craft designs for you (not really filet)

2 graphghan throws... one that to be done by mid October... and the other by the beginning of December so that it can be mailed and get there for Christmas.

and then a graphghan comforter Giants theme if I can squeeze it in...

There is so much more I want to do but I think with just those projects I will be working up until Christmas Eve night to get them done!

I'd like to join. On Saturday, I decided that I wanted to make a couple of prayer shawls for Christmas gifts. There's nothing inappropriate about that, is there? I mean giving them for Christmas as opposed to just giving them. I'm making them for them to use while praying which I think they would both like.

I'm planning on making one for my fiance and for his sister. I pretty much have the one for my fiance planned out, but I'm still figuring out which one to make for his sister. I'm thinking of making the charmed one for her using Red Heart Aran Fleck and some charms.

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2010/02/charmed-prayer-shawl-crochet-pattern.html

For my fiance, I'm planning on using this pattern but I plan to make it shawl size:

http://patternsbydot.blogspot.com/2006/01/scrumptious-scraps-afghan.html

The thing is that I have to work on it when he's not around and I think it will be a lot of work. We work together (most of the time) and are together almost all the time so it might be a bit of a challenge :)

The charmed shawl is gorgeous! I did an afghan that used a similiar pattern... it was a little different to do at first but it made up fast and it was gorgeous! I really need to get in the habit of taking pictures of my work when I am done!

Oh I"m in.

I have on the planning block, For Christmas

3 Daisy square afghans (the square on Krochet Krystals site). (one is started)

2 T-shirts with My lil crochet groups nickname Embroriderd on it

3 baby dolls that are from Annie's pattern club, (if i can get the yarn)

Sew the silky boarder on to this Elvis fleese blanket for my mom

2 other afghans (boyish) for my boys

Non christmas related but NEED to get done

2 Ruffle and Rattle baby afghans. both for diffrent people..

1 is just waiting assembly. and addition of the boarder.. the other is yet to be started

THEN i want to make the Cathridial rose afghan (church window)

well lets see

one afghan for my gran (started)

one afghan for my friend's son's birthday (yarn bought)

one afghan for my mom (started)

i just asked my stepsister about colors for a wedding gift for her and her new husband...and also one for my neice

i have one scarf

i have one hat

i would like to make something for my nephew but i don't know what yet...either slippers or a blanket

oh and lots of bookmarks

Sounds like we got a group going with lots of great projects!!!! I would love to do some little bookmarks or something to give to just a couple of people but have never found a good pattern that is easy to make up. I hate working with thread!

Bought the yarn today to start my stockings... even though I am not completely happy with how the color combos are going to... and I am starting on the graphghan that has to be done by 10/10 tonight!

I have been participating in the "In [Month] I will ..." CAL but what the heck! I can join this one too! The more the merrier.

Currently I am in the middle of a Lion Ami for my godson for Christmas.

After that I need to make a second lapghan for Soldier's Angels "Blankets of Gratitude" drive.

And I have to make a second Panda Bearghan for the preschool auction because they are certain that the one I made will start a bidding war! (I hope they are right)

Then there is the T-shirt blanket for my nephew - my sister still needs to send the shirts!

Also need to make some AG clothes. I really want to get Maggie's Pattern for the sledding outfit.

Oh yeah, ETA, I need to make a katamari for my younger son!

I'm in! I've only recently started thinking about how fast Christmas is sneaking up on me. I should have realized it sooner. Now I'm trying to figure out what all I'm going to make. I know a couple of things for sure, have one project in the works, but I'll make a list and post it on here.

Only 101 days (and 7 hours!) until Christmas.. and that doesnt include birthdays, etc between now and then!!!!

Started my graphghan last night and got about 20 rows into... tried a new square for my stockings but it ended up being too big... back to the traditional granny square it is :( I was hoping for something a little different but oh well!

I have decided my stockings are going to be my "on the go" project since this afghan is just going to be way to big to take out any place. I was aiming for 3x5 but got my guage screwed up (hook size different than normal!) so it looks like it will be 4x6 (and then some!)

Welcome everyone!!!!!

After making afghans and potholders for Christmas's past I just don't know what to make this yr for gifts. I guess I will just start making stuff to put aside and decide who it's for later or something.

I kinda sorta started on Christmas a few weeks ago - not much done though. Maybe seeing the list here will keep me focused and off of the 'Oooo I want to try that' projects that keep coming up.

I'm in!

To Do List -

3 large felted spa baskets

5 swiffer covers (3 acrylic and 2 cotton)

9 dish cloths

4 potholders

Prayer shawl for cousin - Homespun....ugh

Prayer shawl for SIL

Grocery tote

Dishcloth bouquet for Aunt

If I get this far....I'll be doing good.

The charmed shawl is gorgeous! I did an afghan that used a similiar pattern... it was a little different to do at first but it made up fast and it was gorgeous! I really need to get in the habit of taking pictures of my work when I am done!

Alnee,

I need to get better about taking pics of my work too. I had an afghan that I really loved and didn't take any good pics of it and it got ruined when one of my cats had an accident on it - a bathroom accident so now I don't really have any good pics of it.

As I posted earlier, I'm planning to make prayer shawls for my fiance and his sister for Christmas. For my fiance's shawl, I got an idea based on a series that our pastor is doing at church on Joseph from Genesis. I wanted to base my fiance's shawl on Joseph's "coat of many colors." I'm also using a pattern that kind of looks like stained glass windows which are often found in churches.

I made a sample today of what I was thinking of doing for his shawl. I'm attaching a pic. I think it turned out nice but .......

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw their I Love This Yarn in Blue Camo and fell in love with it. I was wondering if this might make a better shawl for him, making it more manly than the mixed colors. His favorite color is blue and with the different shades of blue and brown/beige, I would think it would still qualify as a "coat of many colors." I would still use the same pattern and I would probably use buff as the main color instead of black.

Oh, decisions, decisions. Does anyone have any input? I know ultimately I have to decide but I'd love to know what others might think.

I might just have to go to HL and make a sample of the blue camo one with the buff.

post-41725-135897574381_thumb.jpg

What a pretty pattern!!!! I have seen the blue camo online but not in person. It looks to be a neat color. It might be a little more masculine? I think either one would be great... and the meaning behind it truly is wonderful!!!!!!!!

I know... I am lots of help, huh??? LOL

I ended up frogging all 20 rows I had done on my afghan because it was just going to way too big by the time I edged it, etc. I am back to work on it now and maybe have done 10 rows or so... but I bought myself a new set of crochet hooks today as a gift and that has encouraged me to work more on it! ;)

As I posted earlier, I'm planning to make prayer shawls for my fiance and his sister for Christmas. For my fiance's shawl, I got an idea based on a series that our pastor is doing at church on Joseph from Genesis. I wanted to base my fiance's shawl on Joseph's "coat of many colors." I'm also using a pattern that kind of looks like stained glass windows which are often found in churches.

I made a sample today of what I was thinking of doing for his shawl. I'm attaching a pic. I think it turned out nice but .......

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw their I Love This Yarn in Blue Camo and fell in love with it. I was wondering if this might make a better shawl for him, making it more manly than the mixed colors. His favorite color is blue and with the different shades of blue and brown/beige, I would think it would still qualify as a "coat of many colors." I would still use the same pattern and I would probably use buff as the main color instead of black.

Oh, decisions, decisions. Does anyone have any input? I know ultimately I have to decide but I'd love to know what others might think.

I might just have to go to HL and make a sample of the blue camo one with the buff.

I really like this pattern and colors :manyheart

Archived