Good Yarn for Afghans / Blankets?

Katrala

I would like to make my (7 year old) daughter a blanket for her bed for Christmas, but I'm not sure what type of yarn to use.

I haven't decided on any specific pattern yet, as my main priority is that the blanket is comfortable.

I've used SuperSaver yarn a lot and while it can sometimes come out well, I think I would like to try something that isn't so stiff and is a little less itchy.

Any suggestions for good yarn to use for children's blankets?

I've made some things with Michaels' Loops and Threads Impeccable. It's soft and washed up well. I've also used Vanna's Choice and it works good also, except it can be expensive unless it's on sale and doesn't have as many yards. I have an AC Moore in my town and they carry Bernat Super Value, which is like RH Super Saver but softer. Hope you find something you like.

Kim

Caron Pounders. They wear almost as well as RH but are MUCH softer and easier to work with.

They do run about a 1/2 size larger than RH so you can comfortably use a J hook with it. I use the bamboo handled Bates which is really an I 1/2 and it's PERFECT.

I pretty much agree with everyone...I've used LB Pound of Love many times for baby and children's items, Loops and Threads works nicely, ILTY is super soft, and Caron pounders are really nice to work with (you just don't have a huge color selection with them, but I'm doing an afghan with it now and I love it).

The only ww acryllic I don't like is Vanna's Choice, but that's because it's really expensive for what it is (on sale at my craft stores, it's still $2.50 a skein for 3.5 ounces) and it tends to split on me as I'm working.

I have an afghan made of Homespun that I love. A lot of people have had problems with Homespun pilling after washing, fortunately, I haven't had that happen. It's a very cozy blanket.

I agree with most everyone else....I love Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn...I also like Vanna's Choice. While they are both a little more expensive than RHSS....I'm a firm beleiver in you get what you pay for (in most cases)

Caron Pounders. They wear almost as well as RH but are MUCH softer and easier to work with.

They do run about a 1/2 size larger than RH so you can comfortably use a J hook with it. I use the bamboo handled Bates which is really an I 1/2 and it's PERFECT.

I love caron pounders! Anytime I need a solid to go with RH or any chance I can use it I do. I have a nice stash of them ;)

But I am also very partial to James C Brett marble yarns. I just used the chunky to make a cardigan for my granddaughter and it turned out very very soft! I love just cuddling the skeins:hug :D Made a afghan for my sons girlfriend and it turned out beautiful! Self striping

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't found a yarn I hate using, granted I like some better then others. I use Homespun a lot for the prayer shawls/lapghans I make. I use red heart also and it is scratchy when working with it but does soften up alot when washed. I have never had Homespun streach out after washing.

Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn. I've used it for several childrens blankets and even baby blankets...it's my favorite yarn to use!

I agree. It's a wonderful yarn.

:manyheart

I am making each of my 5 a afghan for christmas an i been using RHSS and for some reason I have been finind it softer then the others i have already had in my stash...

but LIke someone said TLC is nice.

Archived