Bavarian crochet

Auntboris35

Question

8 answers to this question

I don't have the book, but looking att he photos from it on Annies Attic site, it looks like the "wool eater" pattern that Sarah London posted http://sarahlondon.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/wool-eater-instructions/

Crochetdad also posted about it, with tutorials and some info on making rectangles http://crochetdad.blogspot.com/2009/08/rectangular-wheel-stitch-afghan.html

there are some threads here about both i think.

Thank you for you reply. Right after I posted I found this site: http://crochetwithdee.webs.com/typesofcrochet.htm

It says it's also called Catherine's Wheel.

The funny thing is that after I posted and looked at the pics from the links you posted, I realized that the baby afghan I'm currently working on is that stitch (although it doesn't call it by any name in the pattern). :hook

I wish I could get a picture online to show you. I looked at the pics from Annie's Attic and thought I should order that book, but it still took me a couple of hours before I realized what I was doing.:sofunny

I don't know where my head is at today. :P

Thanks, again!!

Lori:yarn

to me, the Catherine's Wheel sttich is worked into the top of the row below as normal, while the Wool Eater/Bavarian is worked around the post of the row below, so they are slightly different. Also Catherine's wheel is usually shown in rows, and Wool Eater is in rounds.

I just got the same thing, and was looking for more on the stitch. As I'm new to crochet, I'm literally clueless. Even what you guys wrote above doesn't make much sense. Could anyone please explain what makes the Bavarian style different or special?

I just got the same thing, and was looking for more on the stitch. As I'm new to crochet, I'm literally clueless. Even what you guys wrote above doesn't make much sense. Could anyone please explain what makes the Bavarian style different or special?

It's just a specific sttich pattern. It's not a distinct technique like Tunisian crochet or broomstick lace, where the stitches are made differently than "regular" crochet sttiches. It is not really very different or special as far as I know. It's really pretty and I'm sure the patterns in the AA book are nice. "Wool eater" is an apt name as it really does use a whole lot of yarn.

:lol I just looked at the Amazon page for the book, it says it is a rarely documented, mysterious technique....just a wee exaggeration there I think!

Thanks! I was looking at a picture of something said was done in "Bavarian stitch", and thought it was pretty. I wanted to try it, but not buy the book yet. I was hoping to just find a decent description (which I did) and try it out. This lets me know that I might actually get somewhere! =D

Thanks! I was looking at a picture of something said was done in "Bavarian stitch", and thought it was pretty. I wanted to try it, but not buy the book yet. I was hoping to just find a decent description (which I did) and try it out. This lets me know that I might actually get somewhere! =D

you're welcome, have fun with it!

Archived