Help forgot what hook i used

I am starting up on a past project and now im not sure what size hook i used.

What can i do to figure it out? Please help someone. I really dont want to get the tension and shape wrong by picking the wrong size.. Thank u

Dmpls

OK ~ don't panic. Figure out what kind of yarn you are using and the weight. For example is it worsted weight acrylic? Bulky weight wool? Sport weight cotton? If you know this, it will get you in the right ballpark area of hook sizes.

Also measure your stitches. How many stitches are in a 4" area? This will tell you gauge, which will give you a general idea of the hook size if you know what yarn you are using.

Im using a worsted weight but the pattern is one that u have to figure out multiples of so i just use whatever hook works best with the yarn.. Also, how will i know by counting between the 4" area, i actually never did a gauge before. I measured and i have 11 stitches. What size would that turn out to be? Thank you so much for the quick reply.

do samples with different hooks, i have done this, till they match pretty close, usually I can get it right! Someone had given me a half finished baby afghan once, with the yarn to finish it, but no instructions on hook size, or pattern, which i figured out first, then I did a few rows with first one hook, and that didn't match her stitches so I tried a smaller hook, and that seemed to work great, finished it up, and donated it to Project Linus, it turned out perfectly, which surprized me, given all the differences in the way people crochet, and all, lol but it worked!

The ladie's that referenced gauge are so right. It is very important.

A few tips I have for you are:

-Check the yarn label and start with the recommended hook. If it does not match to the required gauge, go up or down in hook size until you reach your desired gauge.

-Whenever I am going to put a project aside for a few days, I always jot a little note somewhere with or on the pattern what size and brand hook I am using. I have on occasion had to snag a hook from one project to use on another. ;)

If it is something that can be easily frogged and not boucle that is easily tangled I just start with my best guess and tear it out if I am wrong until I get the right size... when it looks right. Actually, my mother just finished a scarf I started. It was worked in short rows and I am right handed and she is left handed! :lol She just used one size smaller and it turned out great.

I also write down what size hook I'm using. I have a project book and write down the particulars when beginning a project.....pattern name....yarn I'm using....hook size.....any special notes. I also add any notes or changes I make as I go along.

I do dearly wish I were that organized!

I also write down what size hook I'm using. I have a project book and write down the particulars when beginning a project.....pattern name....yarn I'm using....hook size.....any special notes. I also add any notes or changes I make as I go along.

That is such a brilliant idea!!! Do you have any more for how to keep track of the project book where it gets laid down in between notes? :lol :lol I need all the help I can get with my memory.

OOh I've done that before too.... I write down the hook I am using too.

You could also rip out a couple of stitches and try a couple of hooks, but I like the idea of doing a sample size too.

That is such a brilliant idea!!! Do you have any more for how to keep track of the project book where it gets laid down in between notes? :lol :lol I need all the help I can get with my memory.

Thank you! Some times I have to hunt for the book! About 18 months ago I decided I must learn to read patterns well. Up until then, I had only made a pair of slippers and a granny square from a pattern. Right now I'm working on an afghan that I have to re-learn if I lay it down for too many days. I need lots of help too! :think

Thank you! Some times I have to hunt for the book! About 18 months ago I decided I must learn to read patterns well. Up until then, I had only made a pair of slippers and a granny square from a pattern. Right now I'm working on an afghan that I have to re-learn if I lay it down for too many days. I need lots of help too! :think

LOL Keep your notes on the computer! I am famous for losing any piece of paper you give me so anything I have to remember I keep on the computer or my cell phone (if I'll need it at work...work cell). Bonus advantage is that I can upload it to Google Docs and access it anywhere!

• 3 months later...

I write down on the pattern what yarn, color, hook size, year and to whom it went to. If in the magazine it is written on the page, if it is a print out, I write on the back of the pattern. I know this was a UFO and I usually keep the hook with the project....

• 9 years later...

Hi, and welcome to the 'ville!  This is a 10 year old post so the OP may not see this.  I'd think your idea might get you close to the right size, but not exactly.  As in, "maybe an H, but could be G or I" sort of thing.  

I agree with the above posters, the surest solution is a gauge swatch with possible hook sizes using the same stitch pattern and see which matches up best.

Edited by Granny Square

For some time now I attach a locking stitch marker and alpha bead with the hook size on the beginning corner of the project. I can't count how many times this has saved me since I don't keep my hooks with all my WIP's.

Alpha bead markers.jpg  (not my photo)

Edited by ReniC