mamachizel

double-loop crochet stitch

I am doing a Curly Teddy Bear which was published in the Crochet World magazine back in 2002. I have made the body but it now calls for a "double-loop" stitch to make it loopy. The instructions do not make any sense and all the loop stitches I have found make the loop on the wrong side of the item but since this is a body, head etc. the loops can not be on the wrong side as that would be the inside before you stuff it. Please help.

Thanks

Barb

The foundation pieces are worked in the back loops only and you crochet hdc in rounds to the different specifications. Then you fasten off, so have like a ball that will need to be stuffed in the end.

The next instructions read: Starting in any rem free lp at center of head, attach yarn with a sl st, ch 1, sc in same st, *[draw up a 3/4 - 1 inch lp, yo, draw through lp, insert hook under the top 2 strands of yarn (the long lp and the yarn that was drawn through), and complete a sc] twice, sc in next rem free lp, rep from * in each rem free lp of rnd, after all rem free lps of this rnd are completed, ch 1, sc in next rem free lp of next rnd, rep from *, continue to rep in each rem free lp of each rnd until all rnds are completed, fasten off.

Sure hope you can help with this, it is so frustrating.

Thanks so much

Barb

The foundation pieces are worked in the back loops only and you crochet hdc in rounds to the different specifications. Then you fasten off, so have like a ball that will need to be stuffed in the end.

The next instructions read: Starting in any rem free lp at center of head, attach yarn with a sl st, ch 1, sc in same st, *[draw up a 3/4 - 1 inch lp, yo, draw through lp, insert hook under the top 2 strands of yarn (the long lp and the yarn that was drawn through), and complete a sc] twice, sc in next rem free lp, rep from * in each rem free lp of rnd, after all rem free lps of this rnd are completed, ch 1, sc in next rem free lp of next rnd, rep from *, continue to rep in each rem free lp of each rnd until all rnds are completed, fasten off.

Sure hope you can help with this, it is so frustrating.

Thanks so much

Barb

Geez, this is the kind of instruction that really makes me want an illustration to see what they mean. :faint But anyway, surely it is do-able or they wouldn't have published it---right?:lol

Even though reading it sounds kind of incomprehensible, have you tried just working through it one step at a time? Maybe have somebody else read it to you as you go so you can concentrate on doing it.

And hopefully another Viller will come along who can help you work through it...

Yes, I tried that and I showed it to 2 other experienced crocheters and had them try it, NO luck. I even phoned the Crochet Magazine people and they couldn't help me, they directed me to a tutorial but one where the loop stitch is worked on the wrong side, which doesn't work in this case.

Maybe I'll hear from others, but if all else fails, I will just "fudge" it but I hate doing that, I like to do it correctly.

Thanks for your posts and I'll keep trying.

Have a good one.

Barb

it's sad that the magazine wasn't more helpful! Who is the designer? maybe you could find a way to contact her/him, like if they have a blog or something....

OMG thank you, I never even thought of contacting the designer. The patten was published originally in the magazine in 1993 and then it was re-published in 2002. I will see if I can reach the designer....thanks so much.

Barb

OMG thank you, I never even thought of contacting the designer. The patten was published originally in the magazine in 1993 and then it was re-published in 2002. I will see if I can reach the designer....thanks so much.

Barb

I think "try to contact the designer" is something I picked up on here---it's surprising what you can learn hanging around here :)

Of course the publisher may have changed the original pattern and the designer might not be able to help with that, but it's worth a try.

Another thing to try is see if they are on ravelry and contact them that way. I have gotten great help on there from designers when I have had a problem with one of their patterns. Mary

Sorry I'm just new to this, where do I put in "try to contact the designer"

not sure if i am understanding you...what i meant was just that the idea of getting help from a designer is an idea i picked up here on Crochetville.

in this case you have the designer's name, Mary posted one place where it looks like you can send an email to her, and she could be on Ravelry which is a different site that you could join if you want.

it occurs to me also that she might be a member here as well. you could search the members list under the community tab. i don't think it will come up if she registered under a nickname however.

Oh if you don't know about ravelry it's www.ravelry.com and you have to sign up for free to log in. Once logged in on the right click the drop down box for designer and type in Colleen Sullivan and see if she comes then there should be a contact button for her some where. Mary

Yes I am a member on Ravelry and she is there as a designer showing her patterns but there is no place where she has posted her email address and I've just been chatting live with "help" on Ravelry and the woman there didn't have an answer......now it is becoming a "must do" for me.....lol

The ones I contacted I didn't do it through my email I did it through my ravelry messages then they messaged me back, like we do here on the ville with private messages. Haven't had to use that in a while on ravelry but that's how I contacted the designer. Try the other link I gave with an email contact and see too. Mary

Yipee I have found another pattern for another Teddy Bear and I think I will be able to use that loop stitch instead. Thank you ladies for all your help. This is a great network and I will be spending lots of time on it. Thanks again

Barb