Clematis

Enfys

Now I am really excited!

I have been asked for some high res photos so they can feature it in "Inside Crochet" magazine.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer:cheer:cheer Congratulations! :cheer:cheer:cheer

It is totally awesome to have your masterpiece published in a magazine......You deserve the honors, and have the right to feel proud of yourself. This is just so exciting! :yay

Thank you! They are also interested in the pattern.

Which brings me to a question.....................

The frame is made from bamboo and jute string. The leaves and flowers are crocheted. The stems are made with a lucet. This is easy to learn and do but it does mean having to buy a new toy. :lol Easy to get hold of, at least in the UK and he ships to other countries - http://www.thelucet.co.uk/

When I write the pattern, I am thinking of changing the stems to a crochet version but they won't look anywhere near as good.

What do you think?

Thank you! They are also interested in the pattern.

Which brings me to a question.....................

The frame is made from bamboo and jute string. The leaves and flowers are crocheted. The stems are made with a lucet. This is easy to learn and do but it does mean having to buy a new toy. :lol Easy to get hold of, at least in the UK and he ships to other countries - http://www.thelucet.co.uk/

When I write the pattern, I am thinking of changing the stems to a crochet version but they won't look anywhere near as good.

What do you think?

Congratulations on getting published!:cheer:cheer

I think you should write it as you made the original. it looks like lucets are pretty easy to get http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=lucet&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

Anybody who chooses to do the project will realize that it isn't a quick'n'easy type project. Probably anyone who has the skills to do the project will be able to figure out how to modify it if they want. but you could include a short note on how to crochet the stems if desired.

Thank you for the input. I am going to stick with the lucet and, as suggested, a few comments about changing it to crochet of preferred.

Thank you for the input. I am going to stick with the lucet and, as suggested, a few comments about changing it to crochet of preferred.

:) I think if people want to replicate your work of art, they will want to put in the effort to do it right:hook

Thank you.

The mag are also interested in publishing the pattern for the Clematis. I am not sure about it as, although it is really exciting, it means I will not be able to offer it on my site for about a year. I get to keep the copyright but have to agree not to publish any where else until six months after the mag has published it.

I suppose I really need to weigh up how much they are going to pay me and how many sales I would get in that time. I wouldn't have it ready to self publish until after Christmas any way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, Congratulations on making it in the magazine! :cheer:cheer:cheer I wonder if we get that issue here in the States....if we do, I am going to buy it. Now I have to go shopping. :D I can brag and say that I know the lady that made this Clematis :devil

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I am still plucking up the courage to write the pattern. I am currently working on some cro-tat ones.

• 4 months later...

I have started writing the pattern. I know some of you have said that you would be interested in buying it when finished.

I have crocheted the stems rather than luceting them. Personally, I don't think it looks as good but it is a "crochet" pattern after all. I have also bought some different coloured thread to try out my "Vagabond" clematis.

I still haven't decided what to do with it when finished. I could quite simply self publish. Or I could submit it to Inside Crochet. Or, I could do a whole load of other flowers to go with it and publish it as a book. I was thinking for one for each month of the year.

It has been suggested that I submit it to Inside Crochet then later include it in a book with the other flowers.

There is also (which I have just this minute thought of) the option of doing a book purely for different coloured clematis. I am sure I can find an alternative flower to put in the book.

Does anybody know more about this side of things?

Enfys, i do admire you for writing this up---it seems to me like a huge undertaking. I'm sure the pattern will be popular!:)

I think if i were you i would self-publish so that I could retain control over the pattern itself. Even the best magazines do occasionally get things mixed up, and then the designer has to reply to questions and complaints---personally i think i would rather avoid that and only have to answer questions resulting from my own mistakes:P

A book would be really interesting! If it is feasible, I think a chapter on how you created the original would be fascinating. i think everyone who is interested in making up their own creations would like to read about that.

Even the best magazines do occasionally get things mixed up, and then the designer has to reply to questions and complaints.

You have noticed that, have you? :P

I could self publish on my site, as with my patterns. I just really fancy the having a real, hold in your hand and smell the pages book. I need to look into it a little more. I have plenty of time.

You have noticed that, have you? :P

I could self publish on my site, as with my patterns. I just really fancy the having a real, hold in your hand and smell the pages book. I need to look into it a little more. I have plenty of time.

LOL, yeah I have noticed just a few tiny errors in one or two patterns :laughroll

I agree with you about books, i love books. A book of your flowers (or whatever else you decided to include) would be wonderful!

Thank you Karen.

Kathy, I have been told that although it may be lovely to have a book, you just don't earn any money from craft books. I am now looking at self publishing both as "real" and e formats. There are loads of sites where you can submit a finished books and get paper copies printed up - and for quite reasonable rates for small suns. I think I could be tempted to go that route, offering paper books to those who want them and ebooks tot hose who want something more instant.

Archived