Gift Giving???

How do you decide what kind of gifts to crochet?

Do you pick out a pattern/project "you" like and then decide who to give it to once it's finished?

OR

Do you select a crochet project with a specific individual in mind?

OR

Do you just crochet things all year long and then pick something from the accumulated finished projects to give as a gift?

I make things with someone in particular in mind. I pick their colors and things they like. The gift is for them afterall.

Picking out a color and a pattern to make just because and then finding someone to give it to doesn't make sense to me.

Their likes and tastes aren't the same as mine.

I don't have time make or room to store projects in hopes that some day I'll find the right person for it.

I agree with Empress when I know its for someone I go with what they like the colors they have in their home or I ask what colors they like I will let them pick everything out since its for them if its a surprise I try to go with what I think may be their taste ie.. Frilly or more subtle

I don't have a lot of storage space in my house either so what I make doesn't stay in home that long.

I have made several just because and needed a quick gift for weddings or baby showers that have come in handy as well

I find a pattern I like and if there is someone I think would enjoy it I make it. (ie I saw the t-shirt blanket in Crochet World and thought od my nephew.)

Sometimes it works in reverse! (ie I found out my 6yo Godson's favorite animal is a Lion so I found a pattern for a lion Ami that I will make for him for Christmas.)

I try and determine the colors and pattern for each recipient so that it is more personal and hopefully will be used.

I do have a couple of storage bins in my basement, one is labeled All-Occasion gifts, the other Christmas and I do buy or make gifts during the year and label them with the persons name on it and what occasion (birthday, anniversary, Valentines, etc). This way I have them as needed.

I also have basic gifts (usually for Christmas) like holiday pillows, ornaments, etc that are available if I realize I need a small gift.

But the majority are decided beforehand.

LI Roe

For me I usually start out with a person in mind. For instance, the Afghan I'm nearly finished with is for my Mom. The Scarf that is also nearly finished is for a friend who already has the Hat and the Wrist Warmers that go with it, and was supposed to be done a long time ago but my wrists started hurting and I just stopped working on anything crochet for a while. Now if I had been living somewhere with a better indoor temperature during the Summer, I probably would have been able to work on it more.

Also, I know I want to get a very specific yarn for a hat that will likely be for my youngest niece. However, the yarn in question is pretty expensive for me to get, so it will likely have to wait till my next payday.

Archived