Rows 'o Ruffles Dresses

rii698

I fell in love with this pattern for Rows 'o Ruffles Dress from Caron.com earlier this month.

I made one for my 5-year-old in less than a week, so I figured I had time to finish one for my 8-year-old before school started. I used an H/5.0 hook for the Pizazz Pink & Surprize Stripe dress and a G/4.0 hook for the Medium Blue & Seaspray Ombre dress. The differences in hooks was to accommodate my girls' measurements -- apparently they are much smaller than the pattern models :think But I got everything to work-out in the end with a bit of trial 'n' error. All looks good, and school does not start 'til September 7 :whew

post-20536-135897565348_thumb.jpg

The lace-y tiers are made of bunches of picots that were rather fun & relaxing to work

post-20536-13589756539_thumb.jpg

wow, those are pretty! I would love to see them on the girls.

Me to :lol The reason I am giggling, is because my daughters have been visiting my parents and doing 'summer camp at Gramma's' for the past couple of weeks. I had my mum measure the girls a couple of times, double-check the measurements, and then I went to town with my hook and yarn :hook Probably, the only reason I was able to finish both so quickly, is because I was not "distracted" by a pair of busy kiddos.

Thank you for the compliments. The dresses really are pretty in person, too.

Oh my gosh I have that pattern and now that I see them done other then the pattern pic I will definitely make them for my god daughter's. They too are petite for their ages and the sizes given for their ages so I will have to go down a size.

They're both beautiful! I'm making one of these right now for my best friend's granddaughhter's birthday next month! It's a fun pattern to do, I think!

I'm using Sugar and Cream Confectionary Colors in a very pretty pink color along with a ribbon yarn in pastel pinks, purples and blues. After seeing yours and how beautiful they came out, I can't wait to see mine all finished!

Oh my gosh I have that pattern and now that I see them done other then the pattern pic I will definitely make them for my god daughter's. They too are petite for their ages and the sizes given for their ages so I will have to go down a size.

I would recommend working from the girls' measurements, rather than the given sizes, but it is a very easy pattern to adapt. Good luck!

They're both beautiful! I'm making one of these right now for my best friend's granddaughhter's birthday next month! It's a fun pattern to do, I think!

I'm using Sugar and Cream Confectionary Colors in a very pretty pink color along with a ribbon yarn in pastel pinks, purples and blues. After seeing yours and how beautiful they came out, I can't wait to see mine all finished!

Oh, I hope you will post a photo when you finish it, because your colors sound beautiful!!! I used Hobby Lobby's ILTY for the dresses, which probably was not very kind, as it was a pattern from a yarn company, but...:blush, but I made my first visit to Hobby Lobby the day after I downloaded the pattern, and I just had to use some of the wonderful yarn. A wearable seemed ideal. Doesn't it go quickly, though? Good luck with your granddaughter's :manyheart

I would recommend working from the girls' measurements, rather than the given sizes, but it is a very easy pattern to adapt. Good luck!

Oh, I hope you will post a photo when you finish it, because your colors sound beautiful!!! I used Hobby Lobby's ILTY for the dresses, which probably was not very kind, as it was a pattern from a yarn company, but...:blush, but I made my first visit to Hobby Lobby the day after I downloaded the pattern, and I just had to use some of the wonderful yarn. A wearable seemed ideal. Doesn't it go quickly, though? Good luck with your granddaughter's :manyheart

I'm lucky in that I can crochet at work, so I've been working on the back half this evening, and I'm about to start sewing the two halves together. I will be crocheting ruffles by the time I get home tonight at 11:00. I'm so happy that Wednesday and Thursday are my days off, because I plan to sit up all night tonight crocheting to see if I can get it done! I usually sit up until the wee hours crocheting anyway when I don't have to work the next day, but tonight I'm working toward finishing something, so this will be FUN! :yes Besides, it's supposed to storm here tomorrow, if I heard correctly, so it will be fun tomorrow, too, laying in bed and dozing away the storms. :manyheart

I will post a picture as soon as I finish the dress, but I won't have any pics of Britnie wearing it until the end of September, because her birthday is the 27th, so we'll have to wait until I give it to her for her to wear it. :)

Wowee wow! Do these ruffles ever take a long time to do! I worked on it yesterday (Wednesday) on my day off, but I ended up having other things to do, so I didn't get to spend as much time on it as I wanted to. Tonight, however (Thursday), I've been working on the ruffles since about 6:00 this evening, it is now 10:20, and I have just now finished the bottom ruffle! I didn't realize until I got into the actual crocheting of the ruffles that they are nothing but picots! I am HORRIBLE at picots! I love the way they look, but they take me a LONG time to do, so these ruffles are going to be a project unto themselves! :lol

I've got two more to do, and I figure if I do one a night, I'll have the dress done by the end of the weekend. It's bad because I have to open up at 7:00 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so I can't sit up all night like I love to and crochet. I've got to get to bed by 2:00 am to get at least 4-4.5 hours of sleep! Oh well. If I don't finish it over the weekend, it will definitely be finished by the beginning of next week, and the birthday isn't until the end of this month, so I am WELL within my necessary timeframe. I just want to finish it at this point, though, so I can move on to something else! :lol

I'm lucky in that I can crochet at work, so I've been working on the back half this evening, and I'm about to start sewing the two halves together. I will be crocheting ruffles by the time I get home tonight at 11:00. I'm so happy that Wednesday and Thursday are my days off, because I plan to sit up all night tonight crocheting to see if I can get it done! I usually sit up until the wee hours crocheting anyway when I don't have to work the next day, but tonight I'm working toward finishing something, so this will be FUN! :yes Besides, it's supposed to storm here tomorrow, if I heard correctly, so it will be fun tomorrow, too, laying in bed and dozing away the storms. :manyheart

I will post a picture as soon as I finish the dress, but I won't have any pics of Britnie wearing it until the end of September, because her birthday is the 27th, so we'll have to wait until I give it to her for her to wear it. :)

Ohhhh, I loved hearing about your plan to laze the evening away, and, perhaps, even the stormy day, with your hook and yarn. Isn't it lovely to just work and see progress? :cheerYou can do the ruffles. Good luck :cheer I, too, was surprised at how long the lace-y, open-looking ruffles took. Yep, they fooled me, too, until I had worked two or three when I realized I was just going to be making a ton of picots. Honestly, I do not mind them, and the pattern does rather flow, but it takes a lot longer than I imagined to work my way around a small dress. It was a child's size, for goodness sakes. Should have been a breeze, no? Well, I am glad to hear that you are moving right along. Don't you just love it, though?!? How many ruffles are you doing? I only used two colorways and alternated them, rather than the 4 called for in the original pattern. As a result, I thought the dress looked nice and finished after only 3 ruffles. I omitted the final, top one that matched the body of the dress. I am so anxious to see yours. I do hope you will take pics before you give it to your granddaughter, simply because I am antsy. I can wait until she opens it later this month, if I have to :lol. Keep working on it, you can do it and move on to another project, shortly :cheer It's great to hear you are enjoying the dress as much as I did.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the colors you used for each of them! I am currently making the Rows of Ruffles dress for about 5-6 nieces for Christmas. I have completed one and am working on the ruffles on #2. I did the first according to the pattern, but the second one I have worked all in one piece to save some time and because I hate sewing pieces together. :)

I love the colors you used for each of them! I am currently making the Rows of Ruffles dress for about 5-6 nieces for Christmas. I have completed one and am working on the ruffles on #2. I did the first according to the pattern, but the second one I have worked all in one piece to save some time and because I hate sewing pieces together. :)

I was SO tempted to do the second one as a single piece, too :yes How did it work out for you? With the size changes I was facing, I figured I had better work them both 'as written,' but given a bit more time, I would have liked to go that route. Wow, 5 or 6 of these dresses? What great Christmas presents. Any way we can bribe you into take pictures of your work? I would love to see them :manyheart

I was SO tempted to do the second one as a single piece, too :yes How did it work out for you? With the size changes I was facing, I figured I had better work them both 'as written,' but given a bit more time, I would have liked to go that route. Wow, 5 or 6 of these dresses? What great Christmas presents. Any way we can bribe you into take pictures of your work? I would love to see them :manyheart

It is working out pretty well. The decreases are a little different since it takes two steps for one decrease, but it's not difficult to figure out. The decreases leave holes that are slightly larger than than the other v stitches, but most of those decreases will be covered with ruffles. I will take pictures of the first and second dresses when I am finished with this one so you can compare. :) They are both made with the same yarn and color scheme but different hooks.

It is working out pretty well. The decreases are a little different since it takes two steps for one decrease, but it's not difficult to figure out. The decreases leave holes that are slightly larger than than the other v stitches, but most of those decreases will be covered with ruffles. I will take pictures of the first and second dresses when I am finished with this one so you can compare. :) They are both made with the same yarn and color scheme but different hooks.

Oh, would you really mind? I'd like to see them. And, it sounds as though you are moving right along with this second dress. I am anxious to see your work. You can do it :cheer

Archived