Black Shawl Obsession Project

faedragon

Earlier this year I went on a yarn buying binge : Ebay is a bad, bad place. I got a great deal on a 5lb cone of black lace weight faux mohair yarn. I had no idea how large a 5lb cone of lace weight yarn would be...really didn't. In June I decided to find out how many shawls were hiding inside this cone of yarn, now renamed "the never ending" cone of yarn. Here's what I've "found" so far:

Top left: Bridal Shawl from Lion Brand

Top right: Tea Wrap from Lion Brand

2nd row: left: Maia Shawl designed by Lisa Naskrent

2nd row: right: Diamonds Shawl designed by Kristin Omdahl

3rd row: both shawls are my own design.

It should be noted, that the cone is now slightly over 5 inches in diameter across its top.

post-4763-13589756536_thumb.jpg

post-4763-135897565373_thumb.jpg

post-4763-135897565376_thumb.jpg

post-4763-135897565379_thumb.jpg

post-4763-135897565383_thumb.jpg

post-4763-135897565386_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments!

WOW! They're beautiful, and what else is in that cone?

A couple of weeks ago , I started a shawl and got bored with it, so a took about an hour and wound up a ball of the black lace yarn , and it gets worked on a little a ffew days. There is another black lace wip( still working from the never ending cone) that is about 80% complete. I actually plan to just made shawls from this. My best friend is anxiously awaiting "Black Shawl Burn-out", but so far, still going strong.

Wow that's a huge cone to have made all of that and still so much left. They are all beautiful though. What are you going to do with them all once finished?

I love making shawls, and I love all of yours! I would never guess that you could make all those with one cone and still have that much left...amazing. These are just beautiful.

They are all just beautiful! I love the cones, I have a black one too that has made 3 shawls and lots of small odds and ends. Right now I am working Garden path right now( http://lilygo.blogspot.com/ ) that uses 2 strands( I wound them with a ball winder so I could use 2 strands from 1 cone) and what is great is I will still have enough to make my next project in mind(Gathering Leaves). If you make a pattern for the pineapple on the bottom left, let me know, I would love to make one!

Judy

Criddy: I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them when it's all said and done. I will keep the ones I "love" for my own use. I love wearing shawls! I am using two of them now as window treatments, hanging in front of the wooden blinds: lace window treatments look so cool!! I'll probably just give away any I can't find a use for.

Judy: I love using cones, but had no idea just how huge a 5lb cone of lace weight was going to be!! I have even wound a ball of yarn off of it and gave to my BFF to make a shawl with, and the cone is still huge. The shawl I'm working on right now is Lily Go's Gathering Leaves. I'm on row 59 right now. I think Garden path is going to be next. I love Lily's designs. Thanks for the interest in the pineapple shawl. I have been thinking about making a pattern for it. If I do, I'll pm and let you now, even if it's months from now.

they are all just beautiful! the ones you made up are really outstanding; the one on the left is really eye-catching and I think if you do develop it as a pattern it would be popular, and I really like the one on the right as well.

thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

They are ALL spectacular! I LOVE cones! I buy them whenever I get the chance because they last and last and last and last and... well, you know. They LAST! :lol You can literally get dozens of projects off them, and depending on the weight, you might never use the whole thing!

Archived