thread question

muise

i found a pattern for a tablecloth I really like. It calls for a size 40 thread but I bought size 10. will there be a big difference? I mean it is all join as you go squares and I am going to need to make more to begin with. Just wondering it is supposed to be a 7 1/2" square. hate to end up with like a 14" square.

The rule of thumb that I have been told is that your design will go up in size by about 1/3 for each size of thread difference. You are increasing the size by 3 thread sizes, so yes it is likely to be around 14 inches. Remember you will need more thread also than what the pattern calls for when jumping up in thread sizes.

Best of luck on your endeavor

thank you, This could be very interesting. I am going to attempt it anyways as I love the pattern.

Just 1 more question, is it ok to use size 10 thread for a tablecloth? or would it be too bulky?

Yes you can use size 10 thread for tablecloths. It's not quite as nice as say a 20 or 30 but it quite aceptable. I have made several with size 10 thread. I have heard of people using yarn.... Now to me that is too bulky. Like putting an afghan on a table and calling it a table cloth. I think a size 3 thread would be almost to much also. But a 10 is just fine as far as looking good and not being to bulky.

Which pattern are you making? Can you post the name?

thank you, This could be very interesting. I am going to attempt it anyways as I love the pattern.

Just 1 more question, is it ok to use size 10 thread for a tablecloth? or would it be too bulky?

thread, like hooks, the larger the number the smaller it is. #10 is what we used to call bedspread cotton. # 10, 20.... 30 is small and 50 is usually for tatting or very fine baby things.. Make a square and see how you like it.

I agree with Katchkan, but if your still not sure why not make 1 motif each of size 5, size 10 and size 20 and see what you think. If it is for your home put that motif on your table and see what you like or not like about the motif etc... from that point on you will know. Use the same directions for all 3 motifs.

Also different name brands are thicker than others so a size 10 thread could be thicker than another size 10 thread.. Do be sure to buy enough thread for your whole project. Even white dye lot changes you be :eek amazed how the whites can change :eek if you run out and go buy more whites ..I am 98% sure it won't match. same thing with color threads.

:idea Lastly save your wrappers in case you do find out you have run out- You have the dye lot numbers.

update us on how your coming along with your tablecloth and pictures.

Have fun crocheting!

well i have finished 1 motif. size 10 thread and a 1.5mm hook. it turned out to be 9" which is roughly what I wanted size wise. would have liked it alittle bigger but it works. now just need to make 98 more, lol

Glad the motif turned out a reasonable size for you. Now what you could do is ravel it and find out how much thread one motif will use and buy an extra ball. Like Sunny said, if you run short, the new will not match.

When I started to crochet, I made everything is South Maid white and I didn't have a problem. Nowadays....you probably would. One would think they would improve on colors, but it has got worse. Maybe it is because they buy cotton from all over the world and it has a different texture and absorbs colors differently.

Have fun with your tablecloth. Mary

Archived