JellyBean

Help with edging please

Question

Hi!

I'm crocheting a simple v stitch baby blanket and I'm stuck on the edging. It's a row of sc then a picot edging. I sc across the top fine but now it says to sc evenly along the side. I have never done anything besides a simple sc border so i'm worried that too many or too few sc along the side will screw up the picot. And I'm also trying to avoid taking a gamble and having to frog it!

The turning chain for rows is 3...I first tried one sc in each turning chain but that seemed too spread out. Should I do two sc in each turning chain space or will that be too many?

6 answers to this question

You may have to eyeball it. Everyone makes stitches a little different so it's hard to have an absolute formula for crocheting into the sides.

You may end up with 2 sc in each turning chain, or 1 in 1 chain and 2 in the next, or 2 in the next 2 turning chains, 1 in the next...or 2 in each turning chain with a single one occasionally if it gets too tight, etc. Whatever it takes to keep it flat.

I wouldn't worry about messing up the count of stitches for a picot edging, you can't be off more than 1-2 sts so it's easy to fudge and no one will notice. Or, count the number of repeats for each picot (1 in every other stitch=even number of scs, picot, sk 2=divisible by 3, etc.) and make sure your sc count works out.

I'm assuming that your v-stitches are dc - correct me if I'm wrong of course! But assuming they are, then your ch3 counts as a dc, right? So if all my assumptions there are correct :lol you will be fine to do 2sc to a ch3sp. Let me know if I'm wrong there - i'll be happy to adjust my answer if you need me to! :)

Ah, i was typing when grannysquare posted her answer. Go with what she said - it's much more concise!

Well I ended up getting sick and having to finish the blanket the morning of. I opted to just put the simple sc border on it. I think it came out nicely anyway

bl.jpg

bl2.jpg

I was in such a hurry that I forgot to take a pic before leaving the house...had to do it after the Mommy-to-Be opened it!