Friendship-ghan

ExRea

Question

I have been reading some of the Thank yous in the RAOK thread and found many mentions of Friendship-ghans. I love the idea but do not have a pattern for it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

10 answers to this question

Come join our CAL http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113104 There is no set pattern.You tell us what size squares and in what colour you want them made and we send them out to you. If you wish you can also make squares for the other girls in the CAL in their preferences.When you have all the squares you need,you get to join them all together and you have a very special friendship-ghan.

Come join our CAL http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113104 There is no set pattern.You tell us what size squares and in what colour you want them made and we send them out to you. If you wish you can also make squares for the other girls in the CAL in their preferences.When you have all the squares you need,you get to join them all together and you have a very special friendship-ghan.

Yeah, what Paula said. :)

:turtle:vheart

I have never made an afghan so how would I know how many squares to make? Or what size to make the squares? What is CAL? I am really interested in joining this group but someone would have to send me a pattern for a square so I could send some out too! Anyone interested in coaching a total newbie to this project?

edit: I found a whole bunch of square patterns on Pattern Central. Now I just need to know how many squares to make a friendship ghan??

CAL = crochet-a-long

It's a group that is doing a project together to make friends and offer support and encouragement. I've actually been wanting to join this one but I keep telling myself I've GOT to finish my WIP afghan (that I have procrastinated excessively on) before I do!

The great thing about the friendshipghans is that everyone is making the squares for each other - so you look at the list and they tell you what pattern and size they want - you make it and send it to them - and they do the same for you! That's why it's called a friendshipghan - your friends made it for you! There are lots of patterns for squares on the site that you can use, and I'm sure I probably speak for a lot of folks when I say, I love to help a newbie. I WISH that I had known about this site when I was new - would've saved me soooo much frogging! :lol

So see, you should totally join! As a matter of fact, I think I will go ahead and join too!

I have never made an afghan so how would I know how many squares to make? Or what size to make the squares? What is CAL? I am really interested in joining this group but someone would have to send me a pattern for a square so I could send some out too! Anyone interested in coaching a total newbie to this project?

edit: I found a whole bunch of square patterns on Pattern Central. Now I just need to know how many squares to make a friendship ghan??

The friendshipghan is whatever size you want, like bgs said. Mine is made up of 12" squares and is 5' by 7'. You just PM me your address and what type/size/color squares you want so I can add you to the list!

CAL = crochet-a-long

It's a group that is doing a project together to make friends and offer support and encouragement. I've actually been wanting to join this one but I keep telling myself I've GOT to finish my WIP afghan (that I have procrastinated excessively on) before I do!

The great thing about the friendshipghans is that everyone is making the squares for each other - so you look at the list and they tell you what pattern and size they want - you make it and send it to them - and they do the same for you! That's why it's called a friendshipghan - your friends made it for you! There are lots of patterns for squares on the site that you can use, and I'm sure I probably speak for a lot of folks when I say, I love to help a newbie. I WISH that I had known about this site when I was new - would've saved me soooo much frogging! :lol

So see, you should totally join! As a matter of fact, I think I will go ahead and join too!

Great! PM your address and square info then I'll get you added!

:turtle:vheart

CAL = crochet-a-long

I think there's a finish your WIP CAL you can join.

Ellie 13

I really want to join the Friendship-ghan but first have to learn how to do a granny sq. I get 3 corners pretty good but that last one (the joining one) just doesn't look right!!

I'll keep trying but my yard is beginning to fray from pulling it out so much......

I really want to join the Friendship-ghan but first have to learn how to do a granny sq. I get 3 corners pretty good but that last one (the joining one) just doesn't look right!!

I'll keep trying but my yard is beginning to fray from pulling it out so much......

We don't necessarily do "traditional granny squares". If someone did not request a specific pattern that they want used then each individual makes whatever square strikes their fancy at the time. Some are doing blocks of a stitch pattern (crocheting back and forth instead of in the round) and making it the dimension requested. Go try some of the squares found here http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

You will find that even in the traditional granny square patterns that some do the corners a little differently. Sometimes when I find I really like the way one pattern makes the corner I use that method in other patterns. I really like the way Donna does the corners in her rectangle granny.

http://www.yarntomato.com/patterns/7x9-rectangle-granny/

Archived