Roxiegirl

Threading while watching tv?

When I've crocheted with yarn I've gotten to the point that I don't need to look at, I can do it while watching tv or a

movie. Maybe I look down every few rows or so. Has anybody gotten to where they can do that with thread?

I have some eye problems, they don't cross very well. I've worked down to a 20 thread & feel it straining my eyes. Idk if I should stop there or if i could get to the point I don't have to constantly watch every stitch.

I can almost work thread without looking frequently. This happens most often when i do filet work. I have trouble when working doilies but that is because i make fairly intricate patterns. Of course i really prefer thread to yarn and for most of my crochet life i have done thread work

Nah, I pretty much have to look at my work. And, working with lighter color thread. Boring, I know, but dark colors just disappear for me.

So far, I still have to look at the thread, as I've only done a few pieces. I would like to improve with practice.

It depends on what I'm doing.

I'm making earrings by the dozen at the moment, and yesterday I found I made the first row without looking. I was actually amazed, as it's #80 thread.

With lace #10 thread I only look down now and then.

Nah, I pretty much have to look at my work. And, working with lighter color thread. Boring, I know, but dark colors just disappear for me.

The darker colors disappear for me too, I have to use reading glasses to see the WIP. I just got new glasses but still have to use the reading glasses for darker colors.

Depends on what I am working one. If it repetitious my hook can fly without more than an occasionial glance. If it is varied or intricate then I need to pay more attention. I normally make intricate patterns though as that is what I love best. It doesn't seem to matter what size thread or what color for me.

So it possible! Wow flia: #80 mustve took a lot of practice

It sure has ;)

What made you decide to work down to 80? I'm

working on earrings too. I don't have a pattern though so I'm winging it :) I've got a base row that I like now! Does 80 look much different than 20 or 30 on earrings????

Today I bought some aunt lydia's bamboo thread. It's soooo soft , I couldn't believe it & just had to buy it for the softness. I hope they start making some more colors

I made the earrings with sewing thread originally. Here in Sweden we don't have the same way to classify thread and yarn. So I had to buy different sizes thread in order to be able to sell the pattern to the US and other countries.

Personally I like the thin threads and the fine look they make. Of course it's more difficult to do, but to me it's the final look that matters.

That's what I'm doing now-testing different threads. It's a real challenge. It seems everytime I go down a size I like the delicateness of it even more!

I love the finer threads. The finest I ever used was a size 150 thread. Once upon a time they actually made crochet thread that small. I did a collar and cuff set in filet with that thread. Size 100 is the smallest you can get now. I have used that for several projects. I love the feel of the fabric created with the finer threads.

I love the finer threads. The finest I ever used was a size 150 thread. Once upon a time they actually made crochet thread that small. I did a collar and cuff set in filet with that thread. Size 100 is the smallest you can get now. I have used that for several projects. I love the feel of the fabric created with the finer threads.

Oh My Goodness, I must be blind!! I have trouble seeing well enough to use #10 thread!!

On the finer threads I have to use a magnifier lamp. It just got to hard on my eyes. It is so nice to be able to see every stitch clearly with the daylight lamp.

Marcia

It depends on what I'm doing.

I'm making earrings by the dozen at the moment, and yesterday I found I made the first row without looking. I was actually amazed, as it's #80 thread.

With lace #10 thread I only look down now and then.

#80??? Wow. For a yarnie like me, that's like flying to the moon.

And how great you can make filigree with thread. At a bead show yesterday, there was a seller with lovely filigree jewelry findings, and though I went back about six times, I couldn't get near the stuff for the mob. It was far and away the most popular booth at the show. The one time I did get to the counter, I got shoved aside by another customer, so I never did get to buy any of the lovely filigree butterflies, flowers, etc.

On the finer threads I have to use a magnifier lamp. It just got to hard on my eyes. It is so nice to be able to see every stitch clearly with the daylight lamp.

Marcia

When I become rich.... :lol

With thread I definitely have to look, but with yarn I can kind of feel my way across a row if it's just basic single crochet. I keep my easy washcloth patterns for when I'm biking and watching tv at the same time hehe

It depends what I am making, if the pattern that I work is really complicated and needs attn. I have to look what I am doing, if not, I go without looking especially repeat stiches, sometimes even I watch, I find some error at the end of the next round :( and have to go back!

Demet

Today I bought some aunt lydia's bamboo thread. It's soooo soft , I couldn't believe it & just had to buy it for the softness. I hope they start making some more colors

I just LOOOVE how soft that bamboo thread is! I know I've heard some people say that it isn't super great for doilies b/c it is so soft...But I have dreams of using bamboo for a thread christening gown! mmmm (just need to get enough miles of thread in one dye-lot, and then narrow down my choice from 2 patterns to one :lol) It first came out in white and natural. I was thrilled to see more colors at my JoAnns (and I was sad when Hobby Lobby (here at least) stopped carrying it at all)...my fave shades too, of the pink and sprucy green...mmmm

Most every project I have to glance at. But repetitive ones don't require the same focus, so unless it's a favorite movie (then my hook will stop anyway), I can crochet and watch tv.

I've worked down to a 20 and a 30 thread. I also love the delicate look. Those butterfly earrings I posted were with an ancient (partial) ball found at a thrift store. It says size 30, and it was happy on my 1.25mm hook, but it doesn't look much thinner than my #20 thread that is sitting here waiting to be used.

I've occasionally done some crocheting with sewing thread. one time it was a thick sewing thread (have NO idea what it would translate to) and years ago I tried a painted doily, with the multiple spools of thread (3 strands together)...that was pretty thin yet. My challenge was hanging onto the tiny project, especially at the start!

I haven't used #30 very often...need more colors in 20 and 30 in my house ;) But I love the delicate look it achieves!