Gauge problem...there isn't any.

LadyBeBop

Question

The good news...I finally found the pattern I've been looking for for nearly 30 years. (The Santa Shrink in Crochet World Omnibook...Christmas 1983) I had the original magazine, but lost it in several moves throughout the years.

The bad news...the pattern does not have a suggested gauge.

I remember making this about 25 years ago for my niece, and I don't recall problems making the shrink fit her. But I'm a little nervous making this without making some kind of gauge swatch.

The suggested hook is a G hook, and the shrink is supposed to fit a 2-4 year old. (Which is a wide range to begin with). I'm making it for my granddaughter who'll be 2 in late October.

Should I go with the G hook and see what happens? Should I try a smaller hook and see what happens? Should I try measuring my granddaughter? Should I use the suggested gauge on the yarn wrapper? (I'm probably going to use Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn," or "Vanna's Choice" yarn.)

I don't want to keeping making the shrink and frogging it due to size.

Here is a picture of the shrink. The girl on the left is modeling it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150464147083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As always, many thanks. :)

5 answers to this question

I would measure your grandaughter and make a gauge swatch and do some math to see if it will fit.

Make a swatch larger than 4" square and measure 4" of inside stitches (the ege gauge is always wonky), count the stitches and divide by 4 - including the fraction of a stitch. This is the number of sts per inch, and the fractions add up! Then look at the number of stitches the pattern is around the shrink, and figure out your gauge with that number of stitches.

Example, making up numbers: your swatch is 4.25 sts per inch, the pattern is 80 sts around. 80 divided by 4.25 is 18.8". If that's too small, you will have to go up a hook size.

Bumping this thread up. :)

About ready to start crocheting (so it will be done in time for Santa picture taking next month).

The shrink is 93 stitches around.

Should I use her waist measurements (about 18 inches) or her chest (a couple of inches more). I'm thinking chest.

looks like you've resolved it but...

:2c

i recently worked a vintage hat pattern that didn't have a guage swatch, but within the pattern, it would say "work yadda yadda until piece measures four inches" or "continue working blah blah blah until piece measures four inches from joining round" is there something like that in there?

I have no idea what a Shrink is--I thought you were talking about an amigurumi that was like a Santa Therapist or something... :lol I wasn't even born when this pattern came out...so there's that. Looks neat in the picture though!!

Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes! :cheer

:pizza

Archived