teaching my 5 year old daughter to crochet

I'd like to teach my daughter crochet. She's shown interest when I've been crocheting so I thought maybe I could teach her a basic stitch and let her make a scarf or a blanket for her dolls. I was hoping someone could give me some tips on teaching a child. What's the best hook and yarn size to start her with?

I'd like to add that I've never taught anybody so teaching tips in general would be nice.

I suggest using the worsted weight yarn and any hook that feels comfortable in her hand....let her choose the hook. Have lots of patience and let her know to have patience also. When I first started to learn, I got so frustrated and thought that I was never going to get it. I was stubborn and impatient. I would give up on it, but always came back to try again. Give her encouragement, and let her know that it's okay if it doesn't go perfectly right away.

A second thought: Perhaps she could start out with a washcloth of cotton. Those don't take as long to make as a scarf...that way she will use what she made and be proud of it. That in itself is encouragement. Then she can do the longer item....like the scarf.

hmm I may have to do this with my DD she is five..I always let her play crochet but was not sure when she would really be ready...But I like the idea of a wash cloth..I mean it could be small just like her and she loves baths..Hmm

But I am not sure, there would have to no distractions LOL aka her baby sister...But it could be fun..

picking out the yarn and finding the right hook in my plastic hook case she has had her eye on...

I even have gliter ones she like to play with so now ashe will be ale to use one...ok

I can not get to excited because I do not want to be to let down when she tells me she really does not want to do it...AHH you just never know...RIGHT

here is a trick i used with my daughter....had her sit in my lap and hold the hook and yarn then i wrapped my arms around her and used her hands to crochet...it teaches how to hold everything and they get an idea of the motion. It only took a few sessions with her to get it on her own.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother taught me when I was that age. Not sure about the hook size. I would guess the yarn was worsted weight. The pattern was a granny square. Made blankies for my babies. Have been crocheting ever since. Keep us posted on her progress. :hook

I suggest Red Heart Super Saver and a Boye H hook. After teaching a bunch of DDs friends -that seems to be the easiest combo. I keep Boye H's in stock in case a new friend wants to learn - I send the hook and some yarn home with them.

The one thing I noticed about teaching younger kids is that they have a hard time learning tension on the chain. A great tip is to use Christmas colors and have them make HUGE long chains and use them for garland. They learn their tension AND create an awesome project.

My daughter has been learning to crochet for the last year (she's 7)...won't practice, always wants to "make a hat or something" instead. I finally got her to agree to making a doll blanket out of squares - 4 squares are single crochet, 4 hdc, 4 dc and there is a larger square in the center. She decided to make the small squares 10 sts long and she is using Red Heart Super Saver Yarn with an H Susan Bates hook (I think the inline hooks are easier to use). She was so proud that she finished the 4 sc squares, now she's learning the hdc squares.

There is a cute learn how book out there for kids to - "Kids Learn to Crochet" - that my daughter also has.

My DD started learning last fall, and loves to make chains (She was 5 when she learned chains. I've suggested that she's ready for sc, and she's interested, but summer is so full of busy fun, that I think it will be fall before we sit down and learn sc).

A tip I learned from experience--don't start with the slip knot (unless she's already figured out how to tie her shoes)...It's too easy to get frustrated and give up. Once she has the chain figured out, it's very easy to back up and show her the "starting knot" (interestingly enough, my DD figured that out on her own somehow this spring!) Sometimes, to give her something to hang onto, I'll work an extra chain or two.

We also started with WW and a fat hook. It was an I hook, I believe. easier to hang onto and to keep the stitches loose enough to work!

Rectangles and squares are great starting projects. They can become purses (no matter the size of the square) parts of doll blankets and pillows (sew two squares together...or sc together...with stuffing inside), cotton makes great washcloths...

HTH

• 1 month later...

I am so excited to hear your tips on teaching the liitle ones. My oldest is only 3, but I have begun bringing out my projects and she is asking questions about it. That might be all we do for a bit, but I am glad to hear of your little ones successes. Gives me hope that the time will come sooner rather than never.

• 8 months later...

Love all of the tips in this thread! My DD is 2 1/2 and already knows the word "crochet" and I've been giving her yarn and a fat hook to play with. Of course all she does at the moment is get the hook stuck in the skein and wings it around her head but hey, it's a start right? LOL

I just wanted to get her "around" it so that hopefully in a year or two I can start teaching her.

Good luck teaching your daughter! :hook

Archived