Hat Sizing Help

TobeysMama

Question

6 answers to this question

I have no clue why, it's a working link as I just clicked it from the post and I know it's not blocked from posting here. I am using IE so maybe it doesn't work if you are using another browser, maybe someone has a another answer as to why it does not work for you. The main site is www.craftyarncouncil.com. If the main site does not work for you then I really have no clue, firewall blocking it maybe for some reason? Mary!

I got it to work - I don't know why it wouldn't work earlier. I am even more confused now though. My newborn size always works out to 5.5" length and 12" circumference but they are too big???

Ugh!! Is there anyone out there that makes newborn hats smaller than this? For those of you who use these measurements (or very close) are they fitting newborns for you?

Circumference is diameter times 3.14.

For a beanie type hat, the beginning circle determines the size. For 12" circumference, you would work the beginning circle to 3.8" (12 divided by 3.14) and then work without increases for the length. This would be for a hat with no stretch at all, so you really want to work the beginning circle to a bit smaller than 3.8" so it will stretch a bit over the head.

I can't help with a baby's REAL measurements, but if you measure how much too big the hat is, you can do the math to make adjustments for the initial circle.

Archived