New guy in town

Dustin1980

Hello all-

Not sure that I fit the normal profile here (if there is indeed one of those). I'm 29 years old. I'm about to hit 30 in August. I'm a pretty well rounded guy who loves to cook, build things, run, and.....crochet.

I started right around 6 years ago. I was working and living ongrounds at a boarding school for troubled teens. It was actually quite a nice little "bubble" without alot of the distractions of the rest of the world. I worked with some GREAT people there who are still a big part of my life. We had 48 hours off each week. As a general perk, I had the opportunity to spend our off time with others who had the same scheduled off days. In an effort to save some money- we would take turns hosting a dinner/movie party. During this time, many of the gals would be crocheting. I thought it was pretty funny at first. I would give them a hard time about it. They were great sports and continually asked if they could teach me. I spent months telling them no. ...They finally talked me into my first crochet lesson.

It was very frustrating at first. But I was instantly intrigued by the fact that I could "create" something out of a piece of yarn. I kept on practicing. For that Christmas, I provided myself with plenty of learning opportunities while providing those around me with some pretty ugly scarves. =)

I've managed to continue on with it. I think that I may be addicted to the sense of accomplishment that I get with each project that I complete.

My hope is that I can pass along this gift to others. I can't begin to testify to the great results that can be created in not only what you make, but also in the purposeful distraction and stress relief that it offers. I am thrilled to find this community to invest in. Looking forward to sharing with you.

-Dustin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the group..

I tried to talk my hubie into picking up a hook or knitting needles, but I did teach him how to do counted-cross stitch..:)

There are some great people, patterns and help here..

Now you can try to pick up the needles and learn how to knit...;)

Welcome from NE Ohio! I find that they guys often come up with the best ideas! Wish my soon to be 30 yr old son would pick it up.

Wow! Replies come quick around here!

Mamaoso - I have tried my hand at knitting. I can do it, but I just don't find that I'm as smooth with it as with crochet. I'm clear that I it's probably more of a mental block than anything else. I probably need to shift my mindset a bit. :think No promises.

I'm not a fan of knitting either. I tell everyone I have craft ADD and I like that I can put down a crochet project and not worry about it falling off the needles.

hey Dustin!! Welcome Welcome!!! Very cool story. My BF wants me to teach him...not sure if I have the patience haha!

Alesha- I completelt understand. I think that the girls who taught me had to have been chanting some sort of mantra in their heads to keep calm. I may have inadvertantly engaged them in some new habits...maybe drinking...:D

Welcome Welcome Welcome!

This is one great place to come learn.. share and make great friends!

My Aunt taught me to knit and crochet when I was 7yrs old. I made alot of 'ugly' scarves myself back then for Christmas gifts! But I soon learned that what I thought was ugly.... was the greatest treasure my family and friends had gotten. When my daddy passed away 5yrs ago... my mom gave me the afghan I had made him when I was 11yrs old. She figured I would like cuddling in it... she was right! Its not an attractive green... and a very simple Mile-a-Minute pattern that was knotted.... I mean crocheted by my 11yr old hands.... that my daddy used as a lap'ghan till he passed! My daddy crocheted... did needle point ... plastic canvas and some wood work! Passing on the talent of crocheting is more than some can even imagine!

Have fun with all you still have to create!

:heart

:mug

Dustin, welcome! While our members are predominantly women, it's not because we don't want guys to be part of our group. We definitely want guys to feel wanted and welcome here. So please jump right in and start participating.

Others have mentioned some of the guys who participate here, and I know there are others. Hopefully, we'll attract more and more male crocheters as time goes by.

As you can see already, our members are a very friendly group! :hook

Tammy-

Without a doubt - that afghan has passed through grateful hands and is a work of art.

Thank you for sharing that with me.

-Dustin

AmyS -

Thanks for the personal message! Everyone has been really friendly thus far. The responses are surprising! This is a great community.

Welcome and early happy 30th birthday.

I think it is great for guys to crochet and knit (whichever is more comfy for them, though I am way partial to crochet). It also provides an opporunity for them to let us know what type of designs they go for and like to design themselves.

Have fun and join in. Be sure to post pics of your work.

LI Roe

Welcome to one of the nicest places to be, Dustin!! I think that is so neat that you have learned to crochet- I only wish that at least one of my 3 adult daughters would want to learn- I have one that has tried- she is an artist, and has way more fun painting and creating jewelry- but at least she tried- I think I may be able to "hook" her in yet!

Glad you decided to join the Ville and I look forward to seeing some of your projects-= and yes, "ugly" scarves were given out by me when I taught myself to crochet in Feb 09 with the help of "you tube". But, they were made with love, and that is what counts!

Archived