weight change?

marygoround

Question

I have a pattern that I want to make but it calls for a weight of 4 but I want to use a 6 is that going to matter? Guess I should tell you that it calls for redheart med. 4 and I want to use Lion boucle super bulky 6. If it does change the pattern how much and what should I look out for?

Alyson

2 answers to this question

Whatever you're making is going to be a lot bigger and have a different texture (because of the boucle yarn.) You won't be able to use a smaller hook to get the stated gauge without making the finished item hard.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, mind, only that you have to take that into account. If it's a garment, you may be able to use the stitch count from a smaller size and have it come out right.

You'll need a good-sized swatch to test for the drape you want and see what the best gauge actually is.

Yes, substituting a much heavier weight yarn is going to make a difference. Whether it really matters or not depends on what you're making.

You'll likely need to use a larger hook size (that is appropriate for this weight yarn) so you don't end up with a super-dense, stiff fabric. This means if you make no changes to the pattern, your finished piece is going to be much larger than what is called for in the pattern.

If you're making a garment, you may find that if you make a smaller size than what you'd normally make, it will still end up having the dimensions you need.

I would recommend making a swatch with the correct size hook and the yarn to see what your gauge is. Then you can decide if making a smaller size garment would work for you.

If it's not a garment but an afghan or scarf or something similar, you can start out with a smaller number of stitches.

Archived