How hard can it be?

nikimcn

So I want to make this afghan:

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/granny-stripe.html

Is that beautiful or WHAT??

Well the gal is in the UK and the yarn she used is not sold in the US (as far as I can tell).

The problem is this...

I need a BUNCH of variety, she says like 17 diff colors! to make the nice rainbow/brites effect.

Where can I get 17 colors, all the same weight, etc.

I'd like a nice feeling acrylic, not red heart or something super cheapy. Any ideas on what would work best? and my best bang for my buck?

I checked out smileys but they only have a few colors per category :(

I don't want to mix and match brands and have if feeling different, I'm anal like that LOL

If you order off line, knit picks has many colors in their different yarn categories. You may get 17 different colors in 1 brand. Also Caron Simply Soft, if you buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and some Walmarts may have thay many colors.

If you order off line, knit picks has many colors in their different yarn categories. You may get 17 different colors in 1 brand. Also Caron Simply Soft, if you buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and some Walmarts may have thay many colors.

thank you! checking out knit pics now

Where does the pattern say 17 colors? It is pretty but you may be able to use fewer colors and get the same pretty effect.

I like the look of this pattern. I may have to try one - maybe a scrap blanket - Uh Oh!

Where does the pattern say 17 colors? It is pretty but you may be able to use fewer colors and get the same pretty effect.

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2010/05/granny-striping.html

That's how many she used. But yes, you could use less and still have a very pretty afghan!

I really like this pattern. I keep forgetting about it. I agree that it would be a good scrapghan....:yes

There are a lot of choices in Caron SS -- http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-caron-simply-soft-yarn.html

I also love Berroco Comfort. It is not 100% acrylic (50/50 acrlylic/nylon), but the color choices are nice and it is a DREAM to work with, very soft. http://berroco.com/shade_cards/comfort_sh.html

There are also a lot of great color choices in this cotton: http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Tahki_Yarn-Cotton_Classic_Yarn-2489.html

I have a big scrappy, I may have to go break it out and pair it with a big skein of black that i have.. lol.. and have it be my bordum buster blanket lol.. work on it when im bored n don't feell ike working on anything else like today :/

I am making the granny stripe and I'm using Vanna's Choice and Vanna's Baby yarn- lots of bright colors! You don't have to use all 17 colors to make a gorgeous blanket with this pattern. There are lots of projects on Ravelry for inspiration.http://www.ravelry.com/projects/search#group=We%20Love%20Lucy&query=granny%20stripe&page=1&sort=projects&view=thumbs

It is lots of fun. I am actually using 17 colors- mostly the Vanna's and Vanna Baby, but did add a couple of colors from Michael's own brand, Impeccable Yarn which is very similar in texture to Vanna's.

Here is a pic of mine (when it only had 17 stripes (each stripe is 2 rows) I'll be starting my 3rd repeat of stripes once I finish another project I need to have done by the end of the week.

post-27163-135897560619_thumb.jpg

Another good choice is Mary Maxim. I have worked with their Starlette yarn and it is really soft and nice! They also have lots of color choices. :)

• 3 weeks later...
not red heart or something super cheapy

If you wash the Red Heart before you use it, it'll be just as nice and soft as any more expensive acrylic. Slip the skein into a nylon stocking, secure, wash and dry. Voilà! Nice soft acrylic yarn.

you need to remember that the girl from Attick24 uses those colors in everything. I'm sure she keeps them on hand. It appears to be a scrap blanket because of all the colors but it does not necessarily have to be one.

If you really have your heart set on doing all 17 colors then I would suggest waiting until Joanns has their awesome yarn sale (which seems to be every 4-6 weeks) at least 25% off all yarn and use a free shipping coupon.

There is one thing that you can do to lessen all of those ends you need to weave in. Instead of putting a border on it you can cut the yarn on each row and leave the tails as fringe.

Any time I do make something with fringe - I tie a knot in the end of each. This keeps it from unraveling in the wash.

For the yarn, I'd say Lion Brand Vanna's Choice or Vanna's Choice Baby and do you really need that many colors? I think you could do quite the pattern with just a few colors and it would look just as nice.

I think you could easily get 17 colors if you use I Love This Yarn. I have a 12 color stripes afghan and I used Loops and Threads Impeccable--soft to work with, but I don't love the way it's washing up.

Well I splurged and ordered the colors from Masons in the UK. They actually have a 17 pack of the colors Attic 24 used! It only took 10 days to get the order and the yarn is really, really nice! Now if I can just manage to finish what I am working on before I start this blanket!!!

I just finished the granny stripe afghan in several different shades of blue and added white in a random pattern. I mixed brands, doubled sport weight because I wanted a lighter shad of blue at one point and didn't have any left in small amounts (they were used in the blanket too) and I bordered it with a variegated blue skein I had.

LI Roe

• 3 weeks later...

Archived