I am confused about the instructions below:

Here is the link http://www.colouritgreen.co.uk/heartcloth.htm

Here is the part I'm confused about.

c/o 1 stitch.

1. K1

2. M1 K1
  3. M1 K to end

repeat row 3 until you have 36 stitches

A. Isn't the M1 the same as knit the first st and then just YO to increase?

B. How can you M1 in the first stitch? I watched a video showing how to do it but the video starts in the middle of the row.

C. In the video it showed picking up the yarn between 2 sts, placing it on the left needle, and knitting through the back and then the person purled the next st for some reason. Is the purling after a M1 required to do a M1?

D. Am I over thinking this?????

Thanks,

Donna

If the pattern says "M1" I usually pick up the horizontal bar between the stitches, place it on the left needle and knit into the back of it.

If it says "inc1" I knit into the front AND the back of the stitch.

Clear as mud? ;)

Make one can be knit in the front of the stitch, and then in the back of the stitch before you take it off the needle.

There are a few ways to do a M1. Usually,it tells you in the pattern what kind to do.

:manyheart

But how do you M1 in the first stitch? All the stitches are on the left needle. Do you K the first stitch and then do the M1??

Thanks,

Donna

M1 as the first stitch is confusing and usually not how m1 is used. Usually m1 is a right or left slant etc and is done in between stitches.

In this case, Id not use a YO as it creates a hole, Id use a kfb, knit in the front and back of the first stitch as it is the most simple with these instructions.

You could knit 1 and make 1 (in either direction) if you wanted to as well.

From the picture it's very hard to tell what was used as the edges are really loose, so kfb would help that as well.

I just read the pattern and it tells you at the top what M is.

M = make a stitch by knitting into front and back of stitch

:cheerCast on 2 stitches and knit into the front and back of first stitch on every row and you will achieve the stitches and rows you need.

As others have said, the M1 is Make One and can be construed in many ways, generally picking up the loop of the stitch directly below the next stitch on the left needle.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived