Roxiegirl

Thread Fibers

So, from reading this forum I'm learning you can't just pick up any thread and crochet with it. Makes me wonder besides cotton what are other crochet threads made out of?

I saw earrings (I want to make :) that are made with silk thread but I haven't been able to find silk crochet thread. What kind of crochet thread would give the same sheen, look, and luster as silk thread?

Well, technically speaking, you CAN crochet with whatever medium you want - it just may not give you the desired result.

If the earrings are designed to be made with silk thread, then I'd go ahead and try it. :shrug

http://www.hhtatting.com/results_threads.cfm?SubCategory=36 that's size 40 which is pretty fine.

or choose something from the "best" category here, it should all be high quality thread which will give a good result http://www.hhtatting.com/category_results.cfm?Category=5

I think Hobby Lobby and maybe Joann carry Lizbeth now.

Thanks! I'm going to look this site up. I could always try a size 10 silk thread?not sure how it's compare to crochet thread but anything worth a try

You can pick up ANYTHING and crochet it. From strips of an old sheet to rope to thread. Not everything is easy or practical to work with but anything that comes 'string style' can be worked with a crooked stick.

You'll probably have to mail order the thread that you want.

You definitely could & never know what will come put of it! I did some research and found out that there's all sorts of threads. I though sewing & embroidery were the same thing but they aren't. There's also quilting and on and on, some threads are heavy duty and I'm guessing more crochetable then a one you'd use to thread a bobbin!