CLLinda

Circulars, Yeahs and Nays

I just really started using circulars for all my projects and I was wondering how you ladies thought of them, compared to straights.

Yeah's

Easier to use than long, 14 inch needles.

Seems to put the weight differently on your hands.

in Stockingnet stitch, you just keep going round and round, like on a hat.

Nay's

Can be tricky to start on a round project.

You have to be very careful not to twist stitches, on a hat or round item.

What's your opinion?

:manyheart

Love them. Almost never use straights anymore. I have the Knitpicks Harmony set and I LOVE them.

Yeah's

Easy to travel with! Take up much less space.

Can use them for both straight and circular items. No need for two sets of needles. You can even use them for projects that call for double points. Got to love that!

No more loosing them in the couch cushions!

Nay's

Hard to find smaller sizes

Can be a bit awkward at first when learning to knit in round using circulars vs double points.

I just bought my first set of circular needles from knit picks. I think circulars are much easier to handle than dpns. I am a newbie and if I can handle circulars believe me anyone can. If there is a down side, it is that you can't twist the yarn or it means frogging whatever you are making, all stitches have to be going the same way...sounds easy doesn't it....lol!

I pretty much only use circular needles except for small diameter knitting in the round, such as socks. I still use dpn for that. For me, it's just easier all the way around. I too have a harmony set from knitpicks....I can't reccomend them enough!

All I use is circular needles..

Socks I use either 2 circular or one long( Magic loop).

Easier on the wrists...

I only use circulars as well, much easier on the budget because they do everything.

For small circular , I use 2 circs for socks etc.

I got rid of my straights years ago now.

I have not used circulars yet. I have some but I have not been brave enough to use them yet. I have a hat I want to make but I have not. I am afraid of trying to join the work so I can knit in the round.

If you want to join for a round, just make sure that when you hold up the needle you cast on is all at the bottom with no twists. And if you knit your way around and find you have twisted the yarn just flip it over the needle til there gone. No harm, no foul..

I've just started a project with circulars. SOOOOOO much easier than juggling two separate needles!

:cheerYeah!:cheerYeah!:cheerYeah!:cheerYeah!:cheerYeah!:cheer

:thinkLong needles, what are they???:think Oh yes, those nasty pointy things, that end up disappearing down the back of the couch or worse still, fall out of your bag when you are out and about.:think

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Edited by Aggie May
Spelling

I LOVE MY CIRCULAR NEEDLES dont want to use anything else

I love the circulars...with straight needles I was always feeling ackward and dropping the needles...

I've never used circulars or dp's because they both seem so intimidating! :embar

Funny thing is, i learned to knit before crochet - but i'll take on an "experienced" level crochet pattern any day! The minute I see anything knit in the round, i turn and run! It just seems like it would be so easy to make a mistake. You guys are alot braver than me!

The circulars can be used for side to side as well. the baby afghan I'm doing on circulars is a side-to-side pattern.

The circulars can be used for side to side as well. the baby afghan I'm doing on circulars is a side-to-side pattern.

It works so well when it's on the circulars. It's not as awkward as using the 14 inch needles.

And it's not as heavy on the hands for some reason.

And it's not as heavy on the hands for some reason.
I think it's because the cable is supporting the weight, and our hands aren't carrying the whole thing.

I think it's because the cable is supporting the weight, and our hands aren't carrying the whole thing.

I think you are right. Even working on a shrug, the weight was on the cable, not in my hands. I get tired more quickly using the straights.