Wee Irish Chain pattern help

yumenotenshi

Question

I have a leisure arts pattern I am working called "Wee Irish Chain". The pattern says to change colors without cutting the yarn, keep the yarn to the wrong side of the work. I am assuming you're supposed to pick the yarn back up again to continue with the same color, but the first time I changed colors and tried this, the color I needed to pick up was on the opposite end of the row. So I undid my work and tried again, this time working over the loose yarn, but it looks terrible when I do it that way.

Has anyone made this pattern and can tell me the correct way to do this, because I am at a loss.

Thanks!

23 answers to this question

Glad to know that I am not the only one having problems with the wee irish chain pattern. I really want to make the blanket for my new grandson but cannot for the life of me figure out how to carry the yarn without cutting it. Everything I have tried looks awful. I see several examples of finished blankets on the web, so I know it is possible to make this blanket. Can someone please expain in detail how to use different skeins for each vertical row without cutting the yarn. When I try to do this either the CC shows through or I have loops on the wrong side of the blanket. Thanks!

Yes, separate balls.  You can buy yarn bobbins anywhere that yarn is sold.  They're pretty cheap and they work well.  Or you can make your own.  There's a technique called "yarn butterfly bobbin" that I never got the hang of.  You can also cut a strip of cardboard and use it as a bobbin.  The idea is to have a manageable amount of yarn wound around something.  You'll be moving them and untwisting them.  So, don't use something loose.  (I love using mesh laundry bags for yarn.  I tried using them for color work .... what a mess!  I was constantly untangling yarn.)

You're right that she didn't carry either color across a row.  Carrying it up a row, you can hide it.  Carrying it across is not only a waste of yarn, it can be seen.  Color changes within a row is where you want multiple balls of yarn. 

I'm guessing your next question will be, "how much yarn do I put on the bobbins?"  I can't help you there, because I guess.  I usually guess too much.  I tend to use more yarn than necessary sometimes.  ;)

Thank you redrosesdz and yumenotenshi for your great responses.

redrosesdz: Question: when you say "use separate skeins" do you mean i should make 2 separate balls for the CC? Is that what the general term means when they say use a separate skein? You always answer with detailed,informative responses, thank you so much for your help:)

yumenotenshi: Your blanket looks great! You stated "I had like 4 skeins going of the green that I just kept carrying over until I got to the end of the row diagonally" Does this mean you had 4 separate balls and when you finished a row (green,white,green,white)  you didn't carry the green yarn across the whole row you started a new row and carried the green yard upwards? I ask this because looking closely at the picture,  I do not see see green underneath any of the white areas I see the white thread being carried across the whole row but it could just be my eyes. I do not mean to pester you with my questions, I know you did this many years ago and I understand if you can't remember. You replying to my questions and giving me your knowledge of the blanket creation is wonderful and thank you so much.

This is what the final blanket ended up looking like. I remember I had like 4 skeins going of the green that I just kept carrying over until I got to the end of the row diagonally. This is long since finished and given away to a friend in another country, and I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of the back. but it turned out alright using the method in the pattern. 

blanket wee irish.jpg

I haven't made this, but I believe what they are saying is to carry the color from row to row.  And when you get to where the colors are spaced apart in the row, use separate skeins/balls.  Don't carry it across a row.

• For for rows, use the MC from 1 skein.  Don't cut it.
  • For next 4 rows (where you have multi, white, multi, white), use the CC from one skein.  Then use the MC, carried from row 4.  Then the CC, carried from row 5. Then the MC, carried from row 6.
  • For row 9, you're starting the vertical blocks (not all one color across.)  Here's where you'll use separate skeins.  You'll need 1 for each block.  According to your sample, you'd need 2 skeins of CC and 2 skeins of MC.  I think that the first of the CC skeins can be carried from row 7 and the last of the MC skeins can be carried from row 8.

All of the above is just a guess.  Typically carrying colors is when you have a short distance between when you use the color.  For example, stripes can be done by carrying each color up the side.  Carrying a color at the end of the row is less visible when you add an edging/border.  Typically you use multiple skeins/balls of yarn when you're changing colors across a row and the distance is long or isn't needed for a carry to a subsequent row.

Laurinda Reddig is an expert on color crochet.  She's got a great book that explains how to hide color changes as well as when to carry vs. when to use multiple skeins.  http://www.recrochetions.com/p/reversible-intarsia-resources.html

However, she has a lot of information that some find confusing.  Here's a simpler guide ... https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/05/changing-colors-in-crochet/

I've looked around for help on this blanket and I finally found this forum:) I just purchased a book with this blanket in it and I would like to do complete it. However, the same quote in the pattern I do not understand as the user  yumenotenshi had issues with:

"Always change colors in the same manner. Keep unused color to wrong side of work; do NOT cut yarn until color is no longer needed. When working vertical blocks of CC (that's the green color), use a separate skein for each set of blocks."

I am not sure what they are talking about here since the afghan is done diagonally and not vertically unless they mean every time I need to do a new row with a mix of the MC and CC colors in the row I need to use a separate skein or cut it.  I have tried the above suggestions about carrying over the color and tightening the yarn but it still looks pretty bad when  try it. Mind you in my example, I am using test yarn and have not used the actually  white and baby blue yarn I purchased yet because I want to see how much of the CC color would show. I used a light pink color as my MC and a vibrant multiple color for my CC. I did this on purpose to see how much the carryover would show. I have attached a picture.

Could anyone please help me interpret this above quote properly? 

Also, why would a person prefer to carry over the yarn instead of cutting  it. Isn't carrying it over using up the yarn and more cumbersome? I thought carrying over the yarn would be simpler but it doesn't appear so. Do people prefer the carryover method because there is less chance of the yarn getting loose when hand washing/gentle wash cycle?

Thank you in advance for trying to help me or at least reading this:)

wee blanket example.jpg

I am still totally lost on how to carry the thread - can someone please direct me to a video or picture tutorial somewhere, or try to explain ONE MORE TIME how to do this? Every time I try, the CC shows through and looks terrible.

I am trying to complete this blanket before our first baby gets here in October - please help!

Thanks!

I just started this pattern. I got to row 6 using the green color for that row. Now when I went to start row 7 the white color is at the wrong side. Will I need a new skein for the white as well as the green or did I mess up somewhere? Thanks!!

Is there a video showing how to start this afghan? I tried following the directions and it seems like a lot was left out...all I have thusfar is a giant mess.

Hi and welcome to the ville:hook

Here is a tutorial for the type of stitch pattern that is used in the afghan

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/diag-box-st.htm

I dont have the pattern to refer to, but i think it is pretty similar.

i've made this - yes i carried the yarn and made the color change by completing the last part of the stitch with the new color. note of caution - keep your tension pretty tight otherwise the carried yarn shows through - It turned out really well. Let me know if you have more questions - i'll be glad to help. BTW the blanket turned out great - you'll be glad you didn't give up.

Is there a video showing how to start this afghan? I tried following the directions and it seems like a lot was left out...all I have thusfar is a giant mess.

i've made this - yes i carried the yarn and made the color change by completing the last part of the stitch with the new color. note of caution - keep your tension pretty tight otherwise the carried yarn shows through - It turned out really well. Let me know if you have more questions - i'll be glad to help. BTW the blanket turned out great - you'll be glad you didn't give up.

Does it say anywhere else in the pattern (front or back) about how to change colors?

It looks like you'd want to continue the colors upward.

Each time a new set of blocks begins, you'd use a new skein of yarn.

So after the first row, you'd have several skeins of green yarn attached to the afghan, ready to work upward into the block pattern.

Does that make sense?

You wouldn't cut the green until you got to the end row of the afghan.

Yep, it's a brick worked on the diagonal. What it says exactly is, "Always change colors in the same manner. Keep unused color to wrong side of work; do NOT cut yarn until color is no longer needed. When working verical blocks of CC (that's the green color), use a separate skein for each set of blocks."

It's pretty ambiguous on what to do with the unused color, which is why I am so confused. It doesn't state "finish off" anywhere until the very end of the pattern, so I am assuming you're not actually supposed to cut any ends and weave them in anywhere until the end.

Boy, I hate directions like that! that hardly tells you anything! I can't envision how that would work at all. OK I'm looking at the picture and trying to figure it out.......

Yep, it's a brick worked on the diagonal. What it says exactly is, "Always change colors in the same manner. Keep unused color to wrong side of work; do NOT cut yarn until color is no longer needed. When working verical blocks of CC (that's the green color), use a separate skein for each set of blocks."

It's pretty ambiguous on what to do with the unused color, which is why I am so confused. It doesn't state "finish off" anywhere until the very end of the pattern, so I am assuming you're not actually supposed to cut any ends and weave them in anywhere until the end.

OK so this is a brick or crazy stitch worked diagonally, right? What exactly does it say to do with the yarn? are you supposed to let it hang while you work with the other color, then pick it up and drop the other color?

i just noticed you are in MO! Hi, fellow Missourian :waving

Archived