Weightless Tunisian Wrap CAL: with designer participation!

Amy

Anybody interested in a Weightless Tunisian Wrap CAL? This is a fabulous design by Vashti Braha that won third place in the Special Occasion category of the CGOA Design Competition at the Chain Link conference in Manchester this year.

weightless1.jpg

weightless3.jpg

Photos copyright Vashti Braha. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Here's what you'll need to make the wrap:

• Yarn : A light weight, gossamer-like mohair-blend yarn listing a size F/5/3.75mm crochet hook or needle on the label should look lovely. This yarn weight is called “#3 Light” or “DK/Light Worsted Weight”. To be safe, have 700 yards of it (you may need only 600yds). Vashti used S.R. Kertzer’s Ovation (75% Kid Mohair, 25% Silk, 233yds/212m per .88oz/25g ball), color #2140 White: 3 balls.
  • 9-inch (23cm) Tunisian crochet hook size M/13/9mm or size needed to obtain gauge.
  • Regular crochet hook: size J/10/6mm

So far, I'm 24 rows along on mine:

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG2869%281%29.jpg

weightless2.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

I have a surprise: Vashti, the designer, is going to be a part of the CAL! This is a CAL, not a class, so don't expect her to be checking in multiple times a day, though. :hook Her schedule is really busy right now, but she plans on checking in at least once a week to see what people are saying, to answer any questions that we can't answer for each other, and to offer general encouragement and support to everyone. :crocheting

If anybody needs help finding a suitable yarn, shout out!

Here are some potential suitable yarns, arranged from cheapest alternatives to most expensive. You can also search for yarn by fiber and/or weight at Ravelry or Yarndex for other alternatives. To duplicate the look and feel of Vashti's wrap, you'll need about 700 yards of a laceweight mohair blend.

Elann Super Kydd, 70% mohair, 30% nylon

259 yards per 25 gram ball

$22.40 for pack of 6 balls at elann.com

(Two people could split a pack, making cost $11.20 per person)

Elann Silken Kydd, 70% mohair, 30% silk

232 yards per 25 gram ball

$6.50 per ball at elann.com

DROPS Kid-silk, 75% mohair, 25% silk

218 yards per 25 gram ball

$9.90 at nordicmart.com

Knit One Crochet Too Douceur et Soie, 70% mohair, 30% silk

225 yards per 25 gram ball

$12.85 at yarnmarket.com

Rowan Kidsilk Haze, 70% Super Kid Mohair, 30% silk

229 yards per 25 gram ball

$14.80 per ball at www.yarnmarket.com

$14.95 at www.jimmybeanswool.com

$14.95 at yarn.com (WEBS)--20% off if order is $60 or more

CANADIAN ONLINE STORE:

Madil Yarns Kid Seta, 70% mohair, 30% silk

230 yards per 25 gram ball

$12.50 CDN at kitknit.ca

Vashti and I both used Chiao Goo Tunisian hooks for our projects. I think Vashti used a 9" hook; mine is 13". These hooks are made of bamboo, very smooth, pointy tip, and are very inexpensive. They're so inexpensive, you may also want to try out some of their regular hooks while you're at it.

Here is one place you can order them online:

Bargain Yarns: $3.48 each

This wrap is Gorgeous! And Amy, you are doing a great job on yours!

Thanks! Once you get used to using the large hook on the laceweight yarn, it's really very easy. Each row is also fairly quick to work, too.

I hope lots of people decide to do this, and that some will make this in colors other than white. It would be very interesting to see it done up in other colors.

I have taken up the challenge as well! I've been a lurker not a poster on Crochetville, but I really want to make this shawl/wrap. I purchased 690 yards (3 balls) of Shulana Kid-Seda in Black. Now to break out my Denise hooks and purchase the pattern. I should be able to start this after August 22nd, the Creative Crochet Guild of Long Island's first ever Stitch and Pitch.

Andrea

Yay! I'm so glad I have some people who will join me in making this beautiful wrap. I've been so busy with other things (kids returned to school today), that I'm not sure I'll be much further along by the time you two are able to join me! :crocheting I'm going to do my best to keep focused and make a little progress each day, even if it's only a couple of rows.

Purchased the yarn yesterday - an orange sherbert color of Douceur et Soie and just ordered the hook. So as soon as the hook arrives, I'm good to go. Hope I like Tunisian as I ordered several other hook sizes - if not, they will look nice displayed in a vase!!!!

diane

I'm up to Row 42 or so of mine. :hook

Mainly because I've had to do lots of other things. I also made my daughter the first of 4 amigurumi elephants for her dorm room in Tuscaloosa next year. She wants four: crimson, white, light gray, dark gray. I may or may not make a fifth one in black.

I am going to endeavor to join in. I have some yarn that would be perfect; will just have to see how many yards I have. I might have to make a weightless Tunisian scarf! Pretty busy right now, but this was just one of the most beautiful garments on the runway at Chain Link!

Well, I sat down tonight and started my shawl. I've done 3 1/2 rows. This is going to be a beautiful shawl. I took some pictures of the yarn, but it was inside and since its black, didn't show well. I'll try to get some pictures outside in the bright sunlight this weekend.

Hi everyone, just stopping by to see if anyone has any questions.

Some crocheters are trying the stitch pattern with a heavier, smoother yarn first, so you might enjoy that. I did that myself, and liked the look of the stitch pattern in other yarns, so I have a few designs to write up as patterns: one is a springtime cotton scarf, another is a worsted weight shrug. When you finish your Weightless Stole, you can use the stitch pattern again for other kinds of projects.

I need advice. I've done 8 rows of the stole and I seem to be losing width, but the most recent rows measure the 20" as stated in the guage. I've counted stitches and haven't lost any. What seems to be happening is that I started really loose and seem to be tightening up a bit. But the last 4 rows are very even, I seem to be in a groove with neat even stitching. Now my question, do I frog and start over? I'm also thinking that if I start over, I'll make it wider, maybe double the starting chain. I should be able to get at least 2 more balls of yarn, if not 3. So, what do you all think?

Andrea, since you're only 8 rows in, if it were me, I would rip out and start over.

I think the wrap would look good any width you want to make it, so I'd also extend it to whatever depth you want.

Ok, tried frogging. I should have remembered I can't frog mohair. So I cut and I'm going to start over doubling the starting chain. Also, I'm going to call the yarn shop and ask them to hold 3 more balls of yarn.

I haven't had a chance to work on the shawl this week because we had to ship my oldest son off to college. And I also have to put together a blanket or two for our guild donations. But this will be my at home guilty pleasure project for me. I started over with 1 1/2 times the starting chain. It is measuring approximately 30", a nice size for a fluffy lady. I'm about 10 rows into it and the stitching is much more even now. Guess I needed that little practice run first (I know, swatch swatch swatch!).

Archived