Crochet thread & embroidery thread sizing

Roxiegirl

I've been trying to step down my yarn/thread sizes to get into thread crochet. I've been working w/embroidery floss (it's all I ha at home!) and I read that was equivalent to size 10 crochet thread. Im feeling pretty comfortable with it & might like to try size 20.

When I go shopping do I specifically have to buy crochet thread? Or is a size 20 thread the same whether it's listed crochet thread, embroidery thread, sewing thread, or whatever? Is there a difference?

If you are using all 6 strands of embroidery floss held together, I think that it would be very splitty and you would be happier with the regular crochet thread!

Perle cotton and crochet cotton thread are sized differently; for both the smaller the number, the larger the thread, but the size numbers don't match each other. I'm not familiar with embroidery floss having more than 1 size: 6 strands together, the 'size' determined by how many strands you peel off to embroider with.

Sewing machine thread or 1 strand of embroidery floss, is very roughly size 50-70 crochet cotton - but - crochet cotton thread is much stronger, is mercerized so it has a sheen and doesn't pill.

Thanks grannysquare! Thread sizing seems a little overwhelming, so please bear with me.

The floss hasn't been to difficult, it only split once or twice! I just looked at the DMC website and it says "size 25" and sometimes "each strand size 25" so I don't know if that means you peel away a strand and it's size 25? Or if all 6 twisted together is size 25?

But as you say a strand is probably 50-70 sewing thread sounds reasonable.

Once I'm comfortable I could use normal sewing thread, correct? I was given this beautiful cranberry colored Gutermann thread

Katchkan says that sewing thread doesn't have the body or the life span of the thinner threads. She doesn't reccomend it and I totally trust her opinion here.

I've never worked with anything smaller than #30 so I'll just go by her opinion.

Embroidery thread uses totally different sizes then crochet or bedspread thread.

Thanks! I wish it could be easier to understand all of this! It is a like when I first started crocheting everything was overwhleming!

I'm doing good with the floss. I have a clover soft touch D 3.25 mm. it's the smallest hook I have but I'm hoping to get some steel hooks this weekend! My goal has been to get to a #30 thread, I'm just confused about differneces when shopping. Does anyone know of a site that explains different threads & how they are sized, which is best to use for what?

I hope you have good eyes. #30 is not that easy to see the stitches.

#10 is commonly called bedspread thread. It was the most commonly used thread to make bedspreads.

The next size down is #20. Very common for doilies and for filet with lots of pictures. Most of the rose doilies and runners are done in #20

Then you get to #30 and they keep getting smaller from there. I've heard of #80. There was a monk here for a little while that used to make alter cloths with a magnifying glass. His work was just amazing. I don't know if it gets smaller from there. I can barely see #30 to work with it.

I have seen vintage patterns from the 1800s) that go down to size 150. Some of them refer to anything larger than 70 or so as 'coarser threads' :eek

As far as what is best to use for what...anything smaller than size 10 would be for a mostly ornamental piece only, like a doily or runner. Not that doilies and runners aren't functional, but they arent subject to as much wear and tear as a bedspread, article of clothing, or even a table cloth.

If you are wanting to use size 30 thread, you will need a size 12-14 hook, 1mm or smaller. If you haven't used anything smaller than a D hook, which is 3.25mm, you are in for a surprise, I think. As RoseRed said, size 10 typically uses a 1.75mm hook, which is half the size you are used to, so I'd recommend that you get some #10 thread and size 7 (1.75mm hook) and try that combination before going smaller.

edit - here is a site that carries smaller threads

http://www.hhtatting.com/category_results.cfm?Category=5

Wow! You guys really know your stuff :) would you help em figure out something?!

The whole reason i started thread crochet is because I saw these:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11344455/handmade-turquoise-silk-crochet-hoops-2

I want to make a pair. I know how to crochet, moving into thread is what's confusing. All the description says is silver hoop & silk thread. I have no clue what kind of thread? What size?

I'm stepping down sizes and hooks, but how am I going to know what size to work toward so I can actually make the earrings?

Any thoughts?

Here is a pattern that is 'kinda sorta' like yours. It would give you an idea of where to start...it is designed by Crochet Dad, he is a member here. The hoops are the same size as your pattern, it uses #10 thread and a US #7 hook.

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/crochet-pattern---lacy-hoop-earrings/3152356

I have no idea what it is that you asked her but at the very least she should be willing to tell you what brand of thread she used. If you're going to purchase something you have a right to know what it's made of.

I have used embroidery floss to in place of size 10 crochet thread...I use four strands of floss; it is comprable to size 10...A little tricky in small spaces, but the result is definately worth the effort!

Archived