Deeply Textured Hat

amydepew

Deeply Textured Hat

heavy ww yarn (aran yarn)/ J hook

**Gauge is not particularly important as I think it should fit just about any adult. However, my gauge on this hat was 2 row heights = 1" **

Stitches to know - dc (double crochet),

. Click on the link if you are unsure about the fptc.

NOTE: sl st to join each round

Round 1: Ch 4, 11 dc into 4th ch from hook (12 dc)

R2: Ch 3 (counts as dc from here out), dc into same st, 2 dc into next st and each st around. (24 dc)

R3: Repeat R2 (48 dc)

R4: Ch 3, dc into same st, dc next 3 st. *2 dc next st, dc next 3 st* Repeat from * to end. (60 dc)

R5: Ch 3, fptc around same st, *dc next st, fptc next st* Repeat from * to end. (30 dc, 30 fptc)

R6: Ch 3, fptc around first dc from previous round, *dc into fptc from previous round, fptc next* Repeat from * to end.

R7: Repeat R6 until you reach your desired length. Finish with one round sc in each st.

FYI: I have a total of 14 rows = 7".

Feel free to destash some of your scrap yarn by adding a stripe or two. On the gray version I created a whole round in the green, and one row sc. On the brown version, I just did the sc round in blue. I only had the tiniest bit of that blue in my stash, and now it's gone!

Another note - if you choose to use a lighter weight worsted yarn, you may want to increase your crown stitch count to 72, depending on how tightly you crochet.

Well, hope you enjoy! Can't wait to see how it turns out for everyone!

post-18179-135897557606_thumb.jpg

post-18179-135897557609_thumb.jpg

Hi! Thanks for the pattern! I love to make hats (give them all away since I rarely wear them) and I love this unique looking one! Just printed it out to give it a try with some of my MANY skeins of yarn! Thanks again!

Thank you. My brain isn't functioning at full throttle here lately; I've been having a heck of a time finding a man's hat pattern (I need to do about 8 of them) that I can do w/o frogging a half dozen times. I'm hoping this one will work for me. I'm using Wool-Ease, so I'm going to try w/ the extra row of increases. I'm guessing to still use the J Hook, right?

Cat - if he's got a big head, yeah, I would add another row and bring the total stitch count to 72. A J hook will be just fine. And it's an awesome guy hat. Even my VERY picky hubby said he liked it...which floored me. LOL!

Cat - if he's got a big head, yeah, I would add another row and bring the total stitch count to 72. A J hook will be just fine. And it's an awesome guy hat. Even my VERY picky hubby said he liked it...which floored me. LOL!

Actually it's for my FIL & all my BILs Christmas, most of them have "average" size heads, so do you think the Wool-Ease (just regular worsted weight) without the increases would work up OK? Your instructions say with a "heavy WW".

I need all the help I can get right now! Brain is way to overloaded!

Honestly, even with a regular ww and a J hook, 60 stitches around is probably sufficient. Because of the texture of the hat, it won't be tight. My suggestion is to make one with 60 stitches and try it on. If you decide you need a bigger hat, just give the 60 stitcher to someone else for Xmas. Trust me, it will get used! LOL

Also - I made my hat about 7" long, because that's what fits my hubby. If their heads are average, 7" should be OK. If they have a bit longer face, you may want to add a row.

Does that help? And Wool-Ease will make a great hat with this type of pattern! Please post pics when you are done!

Honestly, even with a regular ww and a J hook, 60 stitches around is probably sufficient. Because of the texture of the hat, it won't be tight. My suggestion is to make one with 60 stitches and try it on. If you decide you need a bigger hat, just give the 60 stitcher to someone else for Xmas. Trust me, it will get used! LOL

Also - I made my hat about 7" long, because that's what fits my hubby. If their heads are average, 7" should be OK. If they have a bit longer face, you may want to add a row.

Does that help? And Wool-Ease will make a great hat with this type of pattern! Please post pics when you are done!

Thanks so much for the response! Will prob start this weekend; I'll post here & on Ravelry if I'm sucessful.

Perfect!! this is a lovely pattern! I attempted a beanie last night and it was too big even for my hubbys head! LOL!! MAde a boo boo there somewhere! Will give this one a go!! Thanks for the pattern!!

I used cotton for mine and since it is for my 5-year-old grandson, I crocheted it kind of tight. It fits him perfectly. The only thing I changed is that I left off the last row of posts and did three rows of hdc. Last year when I made him a hat he said it wasn't finished because it didn't have a rim around it. So this year I took care of that little issue for him.

This is a really fun hat to crochet and works up in record time. I'll be making more of these for Christmas gifts.

post-19085-135897558834_thumb.jpg

post-19085-135897558837_thumb.jpg

Here's mine. I made it for my grandson. Because he doesn't think a hat is complete without a band around the bottom, I left off the last row of posts and added some hdc stitches. It will fit him perfectly. On the hook is another in wool for my oldest son. He'll love it as I'm making it out of the wool he brought me back from Ireland last year.

post-19085-135897558935_thumb.jpg

Archived