Aunt Lydia's or J&P Coats® Royale Classic?

breeze530

I want to make a pattern called "Golden Days of Autumn Sweater" from an old Annie's Crochet Newsletter. It's a lovely lacy one that ties in the front & is made with #10 thread.

I live on a very fixed income & have to buy things as cheap as I can, but I hate to skimp on crochet thread. This pattern calls for 3,000 yrs for the size I need. So I know it would be best to get it in cones instead of small balls. I've been using the Aunt Lydia's for several things lately, but I'll have to dye some of them because in cones it only comes in white or natural. I've never tried the cones that Herrschner's has except the #5 which was fine. And I've never tried the Royale. Does anyone have experience with those last two? I know the Herrschner's comes in some colors. Does anyone know who else sells #10 in more colors on cones?

Thanks & happy hookin'

Thanks Kathy. At least with AL's the cones are the same thread as the balls. So I guess if I don't get it in other colors I'll just buy which ever one is cheaper at the time. It just may be the same thread because Coats owns both products.

Thanks again & happy hookin'

Bev

The Royale is better quality than the Aunt Lydia's. The Aunt Lydias I have used have been uneven and unsatisfactory to me. I started a tablecloth with it and ended up starting over with the Royal because I wasn't going to put that type of work and not have it hold up. I am glad I did. I won't buy Aunt Lydias anymore. They may be made by the same company but the quality isn't the same.

I have used the cones and the quality seem good. Nice and even and good texture. Good luck with your project.

Did you try this website:

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/article74.htm

It gives more information about the cones. Saying that: Cones contain approximately 2700 yards.

Thanks so much for the link! I forgot about this site. In the past I've looked at it many times, but have never bought anything from them.

Have you ever used the America's Best? What quality is it equal to? I've only ordered the #5 thread from Herrshnerr's or bought DMC.

Thanks!

The Royale is better quality than the Aunt Lydia's. The Aunt Lydias I have used have been uneven and unsatisfactory to me. I started a tablecloth with it and ended up starting over with the Royal because I wasn't going to put that type of work and not have it hold up. I am glad I did. I won't buy Aunt Lydias anymore. They may be made by the same company but the quality isn't the same.

I have used the cones and the quality seem good. Nice and even and good texture. Good luck with your project.

Thanks so much for the reply! I've never had any trouble with Aunt Lydia's, but it's good to hear them compared because I've never used the Royale.

Archived